Difference between Major and Minor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffy J

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the sport and have been doing alot of reading on the rules for the different classes. I am wondering....besides the power factor, what is the difference between Minor and Major? Do they shoot in different classes? Thanks

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check with the guys in the Competitons forum further down the board.
Seems it's subject to several things, that I don't remember anymore. :disappoin

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It deals with the POWERFACTOR of your ammo - basically you can reload a 40 so soft it feels like a 9mm - but if the powerfactor is not MAJOR then you will be considered to be shooting MINOR.

The difference in shooting major and minor - for all your shots that are not in the "A" section - you get more points per shot shooting major

So a C in major = 4 points - C in minor = 3 points

Major Minor
A 5 5
B 4 3
C 4 3
D 2 1

get it?

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The power factor is calculated by multiplying bullet weight (in grains, 7,000 to the pound) by muzzle velocity (in feet per second), then dividing by 1000. As of 2008, a value of 165 or greater is considered major, while values below 165 are minor. (from Wikipedia, which in this case is correct)
The full article here

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The power factor is calculated by multiplying bullet weight (in grains, 7,000 to the pound) by muzzle velocity (in feet per second), then dividing by 1000. As of 2008, a value of 165 or greater is considered major, while values below 165 are minor. (from Wikipedia, which in this case is correct)
The full article here

165 PF is minimum for Major and 125 PF is minimum for Minor in the pistol classes except for production, which has a floor for Minor only according to the USPSA 2010 handbook.

Latest posts

Top Bottom