Has anyone had a revolver break?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had frame and hammer mounted firing pins break. I've had a cracked ejector rod. I've also had the dreaded "trigger freeze", which I know how to fix. A buddy of mine has had two hammer studs break.

Keep in mind we're competition shooters, so our guns see a lot of use.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I broke an after market trigger return spring once in a Security Six but it was a simple matter to put the stock one back in. I have owned and shot a lot of revolvers, and that is the only part I've had break.

Cycklone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when u say alot of use....
What do u mean ballpark wise 10k a yr for 3yrs or 5k yr..... mostly dry-fires?

im sure u mean more than what id say alot is i think alot is 1k in a yr but i dont shoot anything for fun

Cyck

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5K a year for me with a lot of dry fire. For my buddy, probably 15-20K a year and a commensurate amount of dry fire, but he spreads it out over several guns (2 for practice, one for local matches and one for big matches). Of course, he's a 4 time National Champion! :)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Normal wear and tear on a revolver i.e. S&W(Pre Lock/Pre MIM) or Ruger the chances of something breaking is pretty slim. Now I'm talking stock parts. Not saying it can't happen, but it is slim. Now if your like GTG where your doing alot of shooting, things start to happen. Plus it depends on the gun, ammo, cleaning, finish, and use.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a redhawk come to a halt at the range once. The trigger would barely move and had a gummy feel to it. Took it home, got out the owners manual and followed the instructions on how to take it completly apart. As soon as I pulled the trigger group free of the frame a couple of the levers moved a little and a spring shot out. Had I been over carpet it would have been gone for sure. I swept the tile floor with a broom and found it. Anyhow, I cleaned out some peices of grit from the frame and trigger group. Some looked like sand, some looked like carbon. Very small amount in total but enough to jam it up. Never buy the bull about revolvers being more tolerant of environmental factors than semi-autos. They BOTH require care and attention. This happened to my beloved redhawk that was well cared for and mostly only saw range use.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At Center of Professional Studies we have 4 S&W model 64's that have had at least 80k rounds shot through them(each) and still going strong.We have considered sending them back to S&W for a little preventive maintenence but have had 0 problems yet. Steve

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At Center of Professional Studies we have 4 S&W model 64's that have had at least 80k rounds shot through them(each) and still going strong.We have considered sending them back to S&W for a little preventive maintenence but have had 0 problems yet. Steve

Why send them in, they'er just starting to break in!!! :D :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom