Hornady LNL AP issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Over all I'm a big fan of the LNL AP. 95%+ of the problems I've had were operator induced and the more I use it the fewer hangups I have.

I'm going to be calling Hornady tomorrow and I'll let you know how that goes.
However I am having a problem with the bushings that are in the press, the female side of the system. I've had several pieces of bushing shear off the lands and fall out At first I didn't know what the heck they were but after I had collected several of them I figured it out. The bottom part of the land is breaking off. Now in station one there is only one left and on a tough case it lets the resizing die torque up a little which is bad. The station where I have my powder measure is also doing this and it lets the die bushing shift sometimes
Does anyone know if the female part of the bushing (the part that is solid in the press) is user replaceable or is Hornady gonna want this thing in house?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, my bushing on the powder thrower is just rotating and coming loose. I hope it doesn't get loose and then when you torque on it it shears off the teeth.

Do your bushings still have the o-ring installed?

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a run by one of their suppliers last year of bushings that were improperly heat treated. My LNL Classic and LNL AP both had problems. Call Hornady in the morning, explain that your press bushings are cracking, and give them the serial number of the press if they ask(they won't). The only thing the tech really cares about is your mailing address and email address. Call in the morning, and you'll have your shipping notification in your inbox within an hour.

ETA: If your dies are rotating, Hornady has a small shim they can send you to keep it from rotating.

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not hard. I've actually got a bushing that I used for that. I live in the OKC metro area, it's yours if you want it.

The press is threaded for 1-1/2X14(like .50 BMG dies), while the LNL bushings that go on dies are of course threaded 7/8"X14. Take a LNL bushing, grab the ring at the top really tightly with vice grips, and push it down into the press, and twist it out. Lefty loosy, righty tighty. Once you get it started it comes out easily. The reverse is true when installing the new ones. You want to snug them down a bit tighter than you would when tightening down the lock rings on dies, so they don't turn on you when you do. Also, the press frame is aluminum, so make sure you don't cross thread it.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Just got off the phone with Hornady. They are sending me a set of bushings for the press and a set of die bushings. They came right out with the problem with the supplier problem as the cause.
The guy didn't ask for my email address and I didn't even think about it till I was off the phone with him.
Oh well, now we'll see how long it takes for it to get here.

So far Hornady customer service is shining.

As a side note I love the answering routine on the CS line.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've called their CS several times. I love talking to them. They are as friendly as can be and always helpful and upfront. Best CS I've ever dealt with.

They have the only automated phone system that I don't just absolutely despise. First time I called was hoping they wouldn't pick up right away because I was like this. -> :lmfao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom