2010 Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am starting this thread, so we as hunters can communicate the "Rutting" activities and behaviors that we are seeing in the field. This should be able to help us all understand what is going on in the field in certain areas of the state. This information should help us know when we should be taking vacations or calling in sick from work!
This picture below is a Rut Map that was Posted on Oct.11 2010 by Larry Weishun on Versus TV Website.
[Broken External Image]
This picture below is a Rut Map that was Posted on Oct.19 2010 by Larry Weishun on Versus TV Website.
[Broken External Image]
This picture below is a Rut Map that was Posted on Oct.26 2010 by Larry Weishun on Versus TV Website.
[Broken External Image]

On Sunday Oct.24 2010, At 10:15am I witnessed a small basket 8 pointer running the woods with his nose to the ground. I am not sure if he was searching for a hot doe or checking for hunters scent but either way he was searching for something. I was hunting in Haskell County, Ok. about 15 miles west of Stigler.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard some blowing in the tree line sunday night. Not sure if it was deer busting me or some sort of rutting activity. I'm fairly new to deer hunting so maybe someone can elaborate or help me understand what was going on.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Down in SE Oklahoma where we were I would say they are in early early pre rut. Of the 3 bucks we got, none showed any signs of rutting and all were still nice and fat, seem to be spending more time eating and less time chasing.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting a couple miles south of Stigler and all the bucks I saw where in eating mode hanging out together. I would say pre-rut at best. The were touching antlers a little bit but I saw no scrapes. They were acting like they would be making scrapes shortly but nothing yet. My buck was fat and no tarsal staining at all.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Down in SE Oklahoma where we were I would say they are in early early pre rut. Of the 3 bucks we got, none showed any signs of rutting and all were still nice and fat, seem to be spending more time eating and less time chasing.

Hard to say where they are exactly, but from what I saw last weekend, they were definitely chasing does, I was around Clayton. Saturday morn I had three seperate bucks, two mature, one 6 pt, all chase does under my stand. Does showed no interest whatsoever, but they were bird doggin the hell out of them. That was not the only instance I have seen in the last week either. Monday night had a 7 pt with his nose on the ground going right where 4 does had crossed earlier.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No rutting activity observed by me in central OK as of last weekend. Button bucks were even still with the one of the does I shot.

The buck I shot a little over a week ago was fat as well and had no tarsal gland stains either.

Over the years I've learned that there are huge differences in the rut based on the area/herd.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heard some blowing in the tree line sunday night. Not sure if it was deer busting me or some sort of rutting activity. I'm fairly new to deer hunting so maybe someone can elaborate or help me understand what was going on.

They usually do this when they see/smell something that they see as a threat but are still confused or unsure of what it it. They usually blow a few times while they try to process it.

If it was just one sharp blow they probably saw you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom