What is the legal length blade in oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding assisted style knives. This is from Kershaw's website.

Is a SpeedSafe® knife a switchblade?

NO! There are many unique features of SpeedSafe® knives that make them quite different than knives that are considered switchblades. Unlike a switchblade, SpeedSafe® blades DO NOT deploy with the push of a button in the handle or by gravity alone. Instead, the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance-using the thumb stud or protrusion on the blade itself-in order to engage the SpeedSafe® system. Because the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance, SpeedSafe® knives fall fully outside the Federal definition of a switchblade. However, due to the complexity and constantly changing nature of these laws and regulations, it is impossible for Kershaw Knives to be aware of every restriction in every location in which our knives are sold or carried. It is the responsibility of the buyer to investigate and comply with the laws and regulations that apply in his or her specific area.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because it isn't a law doesn't mean someone didn't get arrested for it.

I won't even breech that one without written law. Speculation is a major no no. I just know what I read. I doubt that any officer would make a case out of a BS law in a situation that is likely to be published. Just my .02 who really knows but that LEO...

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because it isn't a law doesn't mean someone didn't get arrested for it.

I have personally seen this type of thing happen. I am glad to say it was officers from other departments that pulled it. they would write a citation or confiscate a weapon, knowing that if the suspect took it to court, it would be thrown out, but betting on the chance that they would just pay the fine and forget it. Which happens a large percentage of the time. If the officer doesn't face any problems from his superiors, then what has he got to loose? At the worst, a day in court with a lost case and a scolding from the judge.
After saying that, I must say that if I pulled some **** like that, my Sheriff would skin all of the hide off of my a$$ and roll me in salt. He doesn't tolerate that at all.

the_DZ

New to the site!
Reaction score
actually, there was a length limit to knives. If you notice, the language mentions a number of bladed weapons, but the first is a "dagger." A dagger is distinguished from other knives; it has a length greater than 3 inches. So, concealed carry of a folding or fixed blade knife of 3 inches or less is permitted uniformly throughout the state; it does not vary from city to city.

Hope this helps.

PS: Does anyone know if 1733 has affected the carrying of bladed weapons? Either open or concealed? It almost seems like, to me, if a person has a license to own a pistol, that also permits them to carry concealed daggers. Seems like I must have that wrong, though....

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
actually, there was a length limit to knives. If you notice, the language mentions a number of bladed weapons, but the first is a "dagger." A dagger is distinguished from other knives; it has a length greater than 3 inches. So, concealed carry of a folding or fixed blade knife of 3 inches or less is permitted uniformly throughout the state; it does not vary from city to city.

Hope this helps.

PS: Does anyone know if 1733 has affected the carrying of bladed weapons? Either open or concealed? It almost seems like, to me, if a person has a license to own a pistol, that also permits them to carry concealed daggers. Seems like I must have that wrong, though....

I've never heard that definition of dagger (and it exists nowhere in any state law or ordinance that I can find). A dagger is commonly defined as a "thrusting tool/weapon" and is pretty much universally viewed as a two-edged (or in some rare cases - no edge at all), blade where it does not have a flat spine, but instead a sharpened edge on both sides of the blade. There are lots of single-edged blades above 3" in length that have nothing to do with what most knife-makers and manufactures call a "dagger". There are also plenty of <3" daggers (or "dagger-edge blades" on various folding knives).

That being said, Oklahoma's knife laws are similar to our tattoo laws before just a short time ago - archaic and absolutely senseless.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, a dagger I was under the impression was a double-edged knife. Which sucks, I'd like to carry a boot-knife that fit that description.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the Rodeo in Cushing one time and a Payne CO sheriff deputy was heras sing a youngerish girl that had a plane Jane little folder in her boot. Made her put it in her pocket or otherwise it was considered "carrying a concealed weapon." I so badly wanted to correct his shenanigans but bit my tongue.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, a dagger I was under the impression was a double-edged knife. Which sucks, I'd like to carry a boot-knife that fit that description.

21-1272 is so friggin vague that it desperately needs a refresh anyways. What is a "Bowie knife"? Ask around and most folks will describe anything with a Clip-Point blade on it... which covers a lot of old school Buck knives and traditional slip-joints.

I wonder what the process is for getting a law like that changed (i.e. a petition, or what)... I'd actually tackle that on if it were possible to show up at a gunshow and get signatures - I could probably knock that out at Wannamachers.

Anyone know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom