Quick question about hunting and Air rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of my brothers says that you don't need a hunting license to hunt with an Air rifle like a Gamo Air Rifle. I say you do. What do you guys say?

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of my brothers says that you don't need a hunting license to hunt with an Air rifle like a Gamo Air Rifle. I say you do. What do you guys say?

As far as I know, you still do, although I wouldn't be caught dead hunting with a gamo. That things for whackin gophers and squirrels in the backyard. Pretty sure a warden would write you up for carryin around an air rifle anytime but during modern rifle season, and if you're gonna be goin out then, do it right and take a rifle.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I know, you still do, although I wouldn't be caught dead hunting with a gamo. That things for whackin gophers and squirrels in the backyard. Pretty sure a warden would write you up for carryin around an air rifle anytime but during modern rifle season, and if you're gonna be goin out then, do it right and take a rifle.

I agree, somewhat, but my argument wasn't weather it can kill an animal or not, or what game to shoot with it. I only wanted to know if was legal to hunt with it and not needing a hunting license. Some air rifles are not toys. I have air rifles and Im not talking about the ones you get a Walmart for like 40 bucks. I have a Gamo Varmint Hunter and a Hunter extreme and they are pretty powerful. I've seen videos on Youtube of a guy taking down a Hog, one shot. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcVkqiDCYU

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, somewhat, but my argument wasn't weather it can kill an animal or not, or what game to shoot with it. I only wanted to know if was legal to hunt with it and not needing a hunting license. Some air rifles are not toys. I have air rifles and Im not talking about the ones you get a Walmart for like 40 bucks. I have a Gamo Varmint Hunter and a Hunter extreme and they are pretty powerful. I've seen videos on Youtube of a guy taking down a Hog, one shot. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcVkqiDCYU

Good point, and pretty cool video. I think it just goes to show though, that you would certainly get written up for using that without a license and out of season...

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Assuming your talking about deer hunting. Getting a deer license/tag with intentions of using a high power air rifle is gonna be a waste of money. It is not an authorized weapon in Oklahoma for DEER during modern rifle season.
Seems like the "chances" are that it would just wound a deer and not even enough for someone to track it if your shot was off at all. Just seems unethical to me. And here's a little literature....

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Muzzleloaders: Equipment described as legal for deer muzzleloader season and blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech are legal.

Shotguns: 20 gauge or larger, firing a single rifled slug are legal.

Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.

Illegal devices: Fully automatic firearms, silencers, laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably have to have a license to hunt with one, when legal (small game only-"air propelled missle".

Not to derail, but airgun hunters should google "Quackenbush" for hunting airguns.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont think that it is legal! but my brother has a air rifle that is bas a$$!!!!! really, no b.s. my father got it for him, and i think that if you got a GREAT kill shot on bambi, that it will KILL him.... now as for what mrshooter said i agree. i dont think that there would be a blood trail to find him. that being said, i do belive that there are air rifles out there powerfull enough to KILL one. just my opinion for what its worth. would definatly have to watch what direction he goes and hope that the pellet travels fast enough that the "pop" of the gun dosnt make him jump. good luck and please post if anything shall develope.......

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
y'all know they make a 50 cal. air riffle that people in texas are using to kill hogs out to 100 yrds. watch air gunner on sportsman channel. i think it comes on wed. or thurs. night. it will show what is out there now that will surprise you. as for the hunting lic. even for small game you will have to have a lic. if your age requires it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom