General question on "dry firing" S&W revolvers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a general question concerning dry firing S&W revolvers. I have several S&W revolvers and a new S&W 460 Magnum.

Over the years I have dry fired them without thinking about potential damage. Before I fire the new 460 Magnum I just thought I would pose the question about potential harm to the revolve by dry firing it.

My gut tells me that it is ok to dry fire them without doing any damage to the gun. However, I do know there are some pistols that can be damaged by dry firing. I just don't think it hurts the revolvers.

What is the general thought on this issue. I know there are many experts here who will know the correct answer.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fast DA cycling of the heavy cylinder guns can lead to excessive wear and tear on the stop & notches. That's something you just live with when you shoot revolvers in competition. Otherwise it does little harm and actually smooths up the action quite nicely.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it recommended that you not dry fire one with the firing pin set in the hammer?

First, thanks to all who have responded.

Second, z06, I have read the manual three times since I got it and it doesn't address any issues related to dry firing etc. Each reading I pick up something new about the gun. But, there is now a word in regards to warnings on dry firing or anything even remotely related.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, a confession to make. The first thing I should have done was go to the smith-wesson.com website to see if I could find the answer. The post by z06, above, triggered this thought and so I did that. Below is their answer. I post it as it might be of interest to others. The lesson here is to look for the answer before you ask a question on the board.

The 3rd question on their FAQs is "can I dry fire my S&W?"

Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

Now that I have done this, I remember back a few months ago when I was researching the 460 model I went to this site and read the FAQs looking for information that might influence my decision.

Just for the record and information for other S&W owners the site is linked below.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp...4_750001_750051_757815_-1_757814_757812_image

There is some useful information here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom