Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Default Best budget hunting rifle

What is the best budget hunting rifle for deer and pig? Ho
    w good is the remington scope and rifle combo? I've heard that its best to spend most off your budget on the scope? it won't be used alot. I'm not wanting to spend as much as a remington 700.also will 308
    be ok for dear or do I really want a 30-06 thanks

Default Re: Best budget hunting rifle

If you can still find one, Academy had the Stevens 200 for $195 out-the-door. The Stevens is a budget Savage which are known for having outstanding accuracy. You can get them in about a dozen different calibers to fit you needs. I think it about the best cheap rifle you're going to find. Another good choice is the NEF Handi-rifle. I prefer a repeater, so I bought the Stevens.

.308 is more than enough for deer and pig. You can actually go quite a bit lighter and still be fine. I'd be comfortable with .243 and a lot of people hunt them with .223. Shot placement is the most critical part.
    My Feedback

"Can I butt-stroke your wife?" - olyeller

Quote Originally Posted by mikey176293 View Post
    I've heard that its best to spend most off your budget on the scope?
    Not necessarily. Since the warranty is good even if you didn't buy it new, I've bought a lot of used Leupold scopes. If you shop the forums, you should be able to pick one up that's quite suitable for deer hunting for $200 or less. Of course there are scopes you could buy a lot cheaper but, from experience, I know it's pretty frustrating to be using a cheap scope with poor glass, that won't hold zero dependably, etc.

Both the 308 and 30/06 are quite suitable for pigs or deer; in fact, you could take them with significantly less potent cartridges.

Grumulkin makes a good point on scopes. Althought Leupold isn't the only ones with that kind of warranty. Just do you homework and you can find a good deal out there.
    My Feedback

Stuck between 2 turds in the bowel of a constipated dragon

Plus if you get a crapper gun it might not shoot well regardless of optics.
    The option already listed are solid, just be sure and inspect before buying.
    "All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." Old Fart.
    Want to have a good time? Take a kid plinking.
    **Old Farts Feedback**
    NRA Life/Endowment/Patron member
    Second Amendment Foundation, Life Member

Feo, Fuerte y Formal

Quote Originally Posted by LightningCrash View Post
    In the sewer systems they stick to grease and form Fatbergs in the sewer, which are difficult to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Dingle berries won't make a pie so why keep them?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    No Old Fart, we love you very much.

A good used Marlin 30/30 can do all the things you want it to. Make sure its a micro-groove barrel. The hornady ammo is great!
    Tuck Fexas!!!!

Enthusiast

thanks all...so am I getting that the budget remington rifle is a no go? how about weatherby?

Quote Originally Posted by A5Sooner View Post
    A good used Marlin 30/30 can do all the things you want it to.
    Agree, and I'd make the same statement only substituting Winchester for Marlin.

-S
    Rule #2: Double tap
    ---
    Stingray's feedback

Are you talking about the Rem 770 / 710 junk? If so, then well, reread the first sentence.

The Stevens 200 is a solid gun, that gives up nothing in the way of construction. And being based on the Savage 10/110 design, if you like it, you can change everything on it; stock, barrel, trigger, bolt handle etc. All available off the shelf.

Stuck between 2 turds in the bowel of a constipated dragon

thanks all...so am I getting that the budget remington rifle is a no go? how about weatherby?
    Quote Originally Posted by NikatKimber View Post
    Are you talking about the Rem 770 / 710 junk? If so, then well, reread the first sentence.
    Just to be clear my statement was only referring to optics.
    The best scope on the market won't make a crapper gun shoot better.
    "All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." Old Fart.
    Want to have a good time? Take a kid plinking.
    **Old Farts Feedback**
    NRA Life/Endowment/Patron member
    Second Amendment Foundation, Life Member

Feo, Fuerte y Formal

Quote Originally Posted by LightningCrash View Post
    In the sewer systems they stick to grease and form Fatbergs in the sewer, which are difficult to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    Dingle berries won't make a pie so why keep them?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    No Old Fart, we love you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by NikatKimber View Post

The Stevens 200 is a solid gun, that gives up nothing in the way of construction. And being based on the Savage 10/110 design, if you like it, you can change everything on it; stock, barrel, trigger, bolt handle etc. All available off the shelf.
    I'd get a Stevens 200 long before getting a 770 / 710 (or the cheaper Mossberg they've always got on sale).

one of the best buys of ANY large caliber weapon is .....

Mosin–Nagant can be found dirt cheap...with bonus of ammo being equally cheap. purchased my Mosin-Nagant in excellent condition with 500 rounds of ammo for $125.

this is the same rifle outgunning our troops in Afghanistan. they camp out 500+ yds up high or just out of range of .223. with ammo cached all over, weight is not a penalty.

7.62 x 54r is not 30.06... but for the $$$ cannot be beat... easily takes down anything around here.

What is the best budget hunting rifle for deer and pig? Ho
    w good is the remington scope and rifle combo? I've heard that its best to spend most off your budget on the scope? it won't be used alot. I'm not wanting to spend as much as a remington 700.also will 308
    be ok for dear or do I really want a 30-06 thanks
    Please feed my feedback ... thanks...
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...highlight=_cy_

Another good one or two is Swed mauser in 6.5X55, and the second is the Swiss K31 in 7.5X55. The K31 can be quickly mounted with a St. Marie scope mount. Ammunition for both is fairly easy to find now days. Both have plenty of thump, and range.
    It is true that 1911ís will give you GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome).

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

The CONSTITUTION is worth the same now as it was 200 years ago. The price was courage, bravery, boldness, and yes sacrifice and even death...BUT it was and IS STILL WORTH IT!

Anti-Lock Evangelist

While the Mosin, Swede and K31 are all good enough for what you're looking for, they're not the best for a low budget.

The Mosins are super cheap and so is ammo, so if you plan to practice quite a bit, it may pay off in the long run, but you will have to drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount and buy or bend the bolt for scope clearance which will cost you the time of a gunsmith unless you do machine work. By the time you're done, you've put at least as much into it as the Stevens and I can almost guarantee the Stevens will outshoot it. There are gems that will shoot with the best though if you get lucky. Most of the ammo is corrosive, so maintenance is higher than a modern firearm/cartridge too and you can't find it just anywhere though it is far from rare.

The Swede will run you $300-400 and you'll have to drill, tap and bend the bolt on it too. On the plus side most are very accurate and you can find ammo at Walmart, Academy, Bass Pro and most places that have a fair ammo stock.

K31's are usually in the $250-300 range but require a special scope base which run quite a bit more than most base sets. The mount is offset to the right which makes shooting it for a right hander a little awkward but doable. These are also very accurate and have usually fantastic triggers, but unless you want to order ammo online, not a lot of local places stock it, you won't have a lot of options and it is usually more than others for the same quality.

If you are ok with shooting with iron sights, any of these are fine rifles, but since you want to add a scope, I don't think they are you're best choices. I love those rifles and have all of them, BTW.

A friend of mine bought a K31 recently for a steal and is using it for a deer/hog rifle, but I can already see in the long run it is going to cost him more than a good modern bolt gun and it has already cost me several extra hours at the reloading bench to keep his ammo costs reasonable.
    My Feedback

If you're talking cheap, and you can live without a scope, it's Mosin.

If you just have to have a scope, you can equip a Mosin with a "scout" mount which attaches to the rear sight.

It's hard to get any cheaper and the ammo is cheap, too.

If you want accurate, then the earlier comments on the Swedish Mauser and the K31 are applicable. They will shoot with Remington all day long.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.