Best budget hunting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the best budget hunting rifle for deer and pig? Ho
w good is the remington scope and rifle combo? I've heard that its best to spend most off your budget on the scope? it won't be used alot. I'm not wanting to spend as much as a remington 700.also will 308
be ok for dear or do I really want a 30-06 thanks

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can still find one, Academy had the Stevens 200 for $195 out-the-door. The Stevens is a budget Savage which are known for having outstanding accuracy. You can get them in about a dozen different calibers to fit you needs. I think it about the best cheap rifle you're going to find. Another good choice is the NEF Handi-rifle. I prefer a repeater, so I bought the Stevens.

.308 is more than enough for deer and pig. You can actually go quite a bit lighter and still be fine. I'd be comfortable with .243 and a lot of people hunt them with .223. Shot placement is the most critical part.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that its best to spend most off your budget on the scope?

Not necessarily. Since the warranty is good even if you didn't buy it new, I've bought a lot of used Leupold scopes. If you shop the forums, you should be able to pick one up that's quite suitable for deer hunting for $200 or less. Of course there are scopes you could buy a lot cheaper but, from experience, I know it's pretty frustrating to be using a cheap scope with poor glass, that won't hold zero dependably, etc.

Both the 308 and 30/06 are quite suitable for pigs or deer; in fact, you could take them with significantly less potent cartridges.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grumulkin makes a good point on scopes. Althought Leupold isn't the only ones with that kind of warranty. Just do you homework and you can find a good deal out there.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus if you get a crapper gun it might not shoot well regardless of optics.
The option already listed are solid, just be sure and inspect before buying.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Rem 770 / 710 junk? If so, then well, reread the first sentence.

The Stevens 200 is a solid gun, that gives up nothing in the way of construction. And being based on the Savage 10/110 design, if you like it, you can change everything on it; stock, barrel, trigger, bolt handle etc. All available off the shelf.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks all...so am I getting that the budget remington rifle is a no go? how about weatherby?

Are you talking about the Rem 770 / 710 junk? If so, then well, reread the first sentence.

Just to be clear my statement was only referring to optics.
The best scope on the market won't make a crapper gun shoot better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom