Harrell's Schuetson for .223 PLEASE HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmith0399

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got all set up to reload .223 . I have loaded pistol before, but never rifle.

I purchased a Harrell's Schuetzen powder measure to use in the future for loading pistol. But I thought I would give it a try for the .223.

I am using H335, which I have never used. I am loading a 55gr FMTBT. I loaded about 50 rounds and varried the load from 23.5 to 24.8 grains. This filled the case to within about 3/8 inch from the top. Plenty of room for the bullet, but I have never filled a case that full before. I am using an RCBS 10-10 powder scale.

I am concerned about the case being that full and about the Harrell's powder measure throwing 23-24 grains. The specs on the powder measure says it will throw between .2 and 25 grains. I only had it opened up about half way to throw 24.8 grains. Seems like every powder being made different would mean you would have to specify the powder to say it will only throw 25 grains.

Should the case be that full of H335?

Am I correct about the powder determining the amount a measure will throw?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dump the powder from a case onto a scale and read it. Check every round for ten rounds, and then every tenth round. See how it goes. That should quell your fear.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure about H335, but a lot of powders will fill the case to near capacity. That in itself isn't cause for concern. Powders vary widely in density.

I would be concerned with my measure throwing over a grain of difference. That will cause significant velocity and pressure differences in most powders. If you are shooting for accuracy it could be greatly affected and the pressure differences could be dangerous. H335 may not meter well, or at least not from your measure. You'll need to exercise additional caution.

BTW, a measure can't really define it's capacity in grains (weight) without specifying a particular powder (shape/density).

Latest posts

Top Bottom