Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does leaving magazines loaded ruin them?

I've heard that leaving a magazine fully loaded for extended periods of time will ruin the spring. Is this true? It's not like I plan to walk around with a half loaded magazine in my weapon. Should I just unload it and reload it every day or two? week? month? what's an extended period of time?

Default Re: Does leaving magazines loaded ruin them?

leaving them loaded is better than unloading them and reloading them daily...

I really don't think so. We have done it for years with no ill effect. I tend to agree with Badger.
    Remember...its only a wimp caliber until you are shot with it!

We're here to save your butts, not kiss them ...

Yep, I am married to a BadgeBunny!

Feedback Thread: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...26#post1544726

Nope, not if they are decent mags, particularly factory mags from a reputable manufacturer (Sig, Glock, Beretta, Walther, Kimber, Kahr, S&W etc). Mag springs are designed to take a "set" and function from there. Loading and firing and reloading will, over LOTS of time wear the springs where you may need to replace them eventually. It it's a POS mag for a POS gun, well, buyer beware.

No !! It's a OLD Gun writers tale .
    It isn't that Liberals are Ignorant !
    It's just that they know so much that isn't so !!

Ronald Reagan 1967

Compressing and decompressing the spring will wear is out over a very long period of time.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

I have done a lot of looking around on the internet and most ppl are stating that the compression and decompression is what has the worst effect on the mags. I have 10 mags for my XD9 and 9 mags for my XD40. I keep two mags loaded a piece for each gun on me and my wife's sides of the bed. Every other month or so I switch out the pairs of mags and be done with it.

Mags are very reliable in this aspect and if they did wear easily you would hear a lot more about it from us gun nuts than what you already do, trust me. lol Couldnt you imagine all the threads on how to preserve magazine life and peoples various techniques such as rotation of mags in xyz intervals, amount of ammo they put in each, replaceable springs etc etc lol. But there is none of that talk because mags just arent that fragile.
    I received word today that a friend of mine, Connor, passed away to what I believe was a heart attack. We were just laughing and joking together yesterday in class and only a few hours later Connor passed away. Life is short so cherish every second. May you forever rest in the presence of The Lord, Connor "Bubba" Hamilton. 2/18/14

Feedback

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong."

Praise the Lord, pass the ammo, and stay out of my way.

no it doesnt wear them out any quicker, i'll agree with the above posts

I may be wrong but I believe this came from years ago when the metal used in the mag body and springs was not up to today's standards. I have seen some pre-WW2 1911 mags that have been left loaded for years and would not function. I have also seen some old Savage 22 rifle mags that were left loaded and it messed up the feed lips. I do believe that modern mags can be left loaded for reasonable amounts of time.

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Nope, not if they are decent mags, particularly factory mags from a reputable manufacturer (Sig, Glock, Beretta, Walther, Kimber, Kahr, S&W etc). Mag springs are designed to take a "set" and function from there. Loading and firing and reloading will, over LOTS of time wear the springs where you may need to replace them eventually. It it's a POS mag for a POS gun, well, buyer beware.
    This. Some of the 'off brand ' mags Ive gotten before by trying to save some cash have been questionable. There was a group buy here once a few years ago and I got a bunch of cheap mags for my G17 and some of them I had to do things like file sharp edges off,a couple I had to assemble-they just seemed to be finished in a hurry,etc,etc. They worked great,they just were cheapcheap. Never felt the same about any factory mag Ive ever ordered though.
    Feedback
    FB

"Once you've bought your way beyond hunger, sickness, fear and fatigue- the rest of your money is a completely useless pile of paper" (T Boone Pickens)

http://mcb-homis.com/magspring/

Interesting article on this subject.

-S
    Rule #2: Double tap
    ---
    Stingray's feedback

I have three Glock mags that have been loaded for years. I unloaded the good rounds to test them about six months ago, and they fed perfectly. I think I put about 60 rounds through each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    http://mcb-homis.com/magspring/

Interesting article on this subject.

-S
    I you look at the pictures that guy over compressed the spring so it really doesn't prove anything. No one over loads their mags like that.
    Another interesting article on the subject http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/
    Last edited by cktad; 03-24-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerLB View Post
    leaving them loaded is better than unloading them and reloading them daily...
    Yup.. Tis the truth. Simple fracture mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by cktad View Post
    I you look at the pictures that guy over compressed the spring so it really doesn't prove anything. No one over loads their mags like that.
    Another interesting article on the subject http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/
    Exactly! You can tell he didn't prevent the washer from torqung the crap out of it as he tightened the nut too. That "test" didn't prove anything except that it was a bad test.
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback