Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend filler for driveway expansion joints?

My driveway is about 16 years old. The builder used wooden spacers between sections and they are rotting away, allowing water to get in, and weeds to sprout. A little Roundup kills the weeds, but I want to remove the remains of the boards and fill the gaps with some sort of sealant.

Someone told me there is a product that will adhere to the concrete, but remain flexible.

Anybody know what I should use? CB

Default Re: Recommend filler for driveway expansion joints?

I just use a silicon caulk. Depending on the size, some use charcoal tar like stuff.
    CCW Glock 26 Gen 3
    Bedside Glock 17 Gen 2 from 1990 (Dad's LEO Sidearm)

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbass View Post
    My driveway is about 16 years old. The builder used wooden spacers between sections and they are rotting away, allowing water to get in, and weeds to sprout. A little Roundup kills the weeds, but I want to remove the remains of the boards and fill the gaps with some sort of sealant.

Someone told me there is a product that will adhere to the concrete, but remain flexible.

Anybody know what I should use? CB
    My concrete guy used a caulk type product to fill the expansion joints when we had our drive replaced. Look at the home centers on the concrete aisle. You will want to use a foam backer rod to fill the joint first.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...SealantPro.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Summ View Post
    My concrete guy used a caulk type product to fill the expansion joints when we had our drive replaced. Look at the home centers on the concrete aisle. You will want to use a foam backer rod to fill the joint first.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...SealantPro.asp
    This is it. Another good product is made by sekaflex. If I'm right it's the original Also if you are having trouble finding backer rod you can buy a sheet of Insulation board and cut it into strips.
    Feedback Thread

It always seems like I'm trying to contain an outbreak and your taking the monkey to the airport.

To Whom lt May Concern:
    This will be my last letter.
    We have grown apart
    over these last six weeks.
    l now have
    two loves in my life
    big-city livin' and
    a voodoo woman named Phyllis.
    Ciao, Roberto.

I've got a pretty big joint in my driveway, about 3/4" wide and maybe 2-3" deep that I've been wanting to seal. How close to the surface would I want to pack it with backer rod or insulation board?
    Three can keep a secret if two are dead

Tanner Funday Sunday Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
    I've got a pretty big joint in my driveway, about 3/4" wide and maybe 2-3" deep that I've been wanting to seal. How close to the surface would I want to pack it with backer rod or insulation board?
    Diffrent products have different specifications you'll have to read the specs on the product you can find. Usually 1/2 is good to go

ETA:

I looked at a tube of the sikaflex that we use and it recommends 1/4 to 1/2 inch coverage. We also buy it from Maxwell here in Tulsa if that matters
    Last edited by tyromeo55; 05-02-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Feedback Thread

It always seems like I'm trying to contain an outbreak and your taking the monkey to the airport.

To Whom lt May Concern:
    This will be my last letter.
    We have grown apart
    over these last six weeks.
    l now have
    two loves in my life
    big-city livin' and
    a voodoo woman named Phyllis.
    Ciao, Roberto.

Fill the gap with foam backer rod the use Sonneborn SL1 sealant. It is "self leveling" so it will fill all the voids and look great. It will run down hill fast so you should only use it on the horizontal joints. Use the matching NP-1 for the slope joints. You can get it at Maxwell's or SSI on Lincoln & 36th. You should stay away from silicone for concrete joints.

Lowes has silicone caulk in a tube just for patching, concrete cracks, etc. It would work perfectly for what you are doing. It even has grit in it to look like you really grouted the crack. I have used it on my sidewalk, having the same problem you described. The wood rotting out. It really looks like conrete grout when your done.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Sika is the HK of sealant manufacturers. It's awesome stuff, made by german pricks.

I recommend you use an open cell foam backer rod (comes in a rope-like form). It goes in the cleaned out gap and the sealant is run on top of it.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Fill the gap with foam backer rod the use Sonneborn SL1 sealant. It is "self leveling" so it will fill all the voids and look great. It will run down hill fast so you should only use it on the horizontal joints. Use the matching NP-1 for the slope joints. You can get it at Maxwell's or SSI on Lincoln & 36th. You should stay away from silicone for concrete joints.
    Why is this?

Also, if the joints run all the way to the edge of the drive, should you cut the foam backer a bit back from the edge and fill the entire edge with sealant? I mean, if you run foam to the edge and only seal on top of it, then water can run under the sealant and along the foam, defeating the purpose of sealing, right?
    "You never know why you're alive, until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard
    Caeci caecos ducentes.

Feedback here.

POST #12 - We Will Never Forget

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
    I've got a pretty big joint in my driveway
    Not surprising Danny.
    Oh, it tasted so good though.

This is what you want,it is what is used on all commercial jobs and will last forever.
    http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11161

SL-1 is its name

Erick and Ronny have it exactly right. Open cell backer rod covered with a self-leveling urethane sealant such as the Sonneborn SL-1 or the Sika. I know that Home Depot carries Sika products. Silicone will not adhere well to concrete. Let me ask the spec writer at work in the AM (I work for an arch. Firm) and I'll pass along a better explanation.