Computer/Network Monitoring Software recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using computer and/or network monitoring software?

Any recommendations for software?

I'd like to install something on my office network to monitor what is being done during the day. How many employees might be visiting facebook when they should be visiting the production reports, etc.

Would like to be able to monitor from a central computer, and of course have it run in stealth mode so that only I (the administrator and owner) can see it.

I've seen some out there, but at 250 bucks per PC, it wasn't really workable.

Thanks

Dave

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A point for consideration:

If I assign an employee X amount of daily work and they get it done properly and on time, would it matter if they spent 95% of their time on Facebook?

For security reasons I wouldn't let their desktops out to the Internet anyway. The last thing you need is to get malware and have your customer data end up for sale in an russian chat room somewhere.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If I assign an employee X amount of daily work and they get it done properly and on time, would it matter if they spent 95% of their time on Facebook?

You could also phrase that as "am I assigning employee X an appropriate amount of daily work, or can I make better use of him?" An employee who spends 95% of his time not working is grossly underutilized.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also phrase that as "am I assigning employee X an appropriate amount of daily work, or can I make better use of him?" An employee who spends 95% of his time not working is grossly underutilized.

Indeed, but without being a micromanager it will be difficult to quantify their time spent. Do they get their job done properly? If yes, move on.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Having experience being one of those grossly underutilized employees (on a taxpayer-funded paycheck, too), I completely agree.

What's funny too is that after unblocking social media websites, less entries showed up in the logs of attempts to circumvent the filter.

I personally hate micromanagers, though. I've left jobs because of it (one job where I was offered a raise and "less supervision" to stay), nearly left a volunteer position many times, and when a prospect insists on being able to watch me work either by screencast or webcam I refuse to take them on as a client. If you can't trust me to work, then I shouldn't be hired.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, you need to take care of your written polices, notices and disclosures before you delve into monitoring activites. This especially applies to an Acceptable Use Policy that each employee must read, sign and agree to. That is unless you have deep pockets and enjoy paying lawyers when you get sued into oblivion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom