School me on fiber optic sights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about them, I know I've shot handguns WITH them and WITHOUT them - I prefer WITH them. I'd like them for my XD-9 and my wife would like them on her P-22(don't even know if that's doable, I haven't looked at her pistol sights yet) The always reliable internet turns up a ridiculous number of options in a ridiculous number of sizes and the prices are all over... $25 for Williams, $60ish for Hi-Viz, $120-$140 for Novak, Dawson & TruGlo.

What should I be looking at when I'm shopping these? Anybody have a "best value for my dollar" recommendation?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different people see colors differently; this also applies to fiber optic colors. Some people prefer green, others orange. Sometimes the background against which you usually shoot will apply to your fiber color choice.

I use the bright fiber optic as only a "quick find" for the gun sights on target. At that point I mentally change to a conventional post and notch sight picture. The picture utilizes the black edges of the fiber front. This picture is much more precise than just a "put the colored ball in the middle of the rear sight. The latter may do for quick shots up close.

My eyes see green better, so that's my choice. I use fronts from Dawson, EGW and Hi-Viz. In a number of models, Hi-Viz has user changeable tube size/color selections. For competition, I prefer a .100 wide Dawson. I don't use fibers on carry guns; they get quality night sights.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Viz gives the most bang for the buck .. on top of being the highest quality and works very well. hard to beat combo of quality and low price.

you get all sorts of extra light pipes so you've got options of choosing which color works best for you.

depending on which sights, Hi viz also provides different sizes of light pipes. so on top of color you get to choose what diameter your aim point is.

Hi Viz has the most SKU in the business. sights can be very gun specific... often costs to tool up to mfg sights is too much to justify a new part number to support. that's why most gun sight mfg only offers the most popular SKU, but gives no coverage for guns with sights that doesn't fit large number of guns.

here's an encapsulated HiViz fiber optic sight that I've custom fitted to my 340PD
it's the strongest fiber optic sight that I'm aware of... does anyone know of anything stronger/better? ...hands down better than an XS Big dot for J frame

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_hivizj.JPG

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the TruGlo TFO sights on my wife's XD-9 SC. Excellent, day or night. I've read they are fragile, but that hasn't been our experience so far in two years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom