Full-Sized HK 45 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_hk45.jpg

(Not my pic, didn't take camera to range yet)

Hello all, working in the gun industry continually leads me on a collision course with some of the finest firearms the world has to offer. I have been lucky enough to own some of the nicest paramilitary firearms made for the civilian market. I have been the quintessential Glock man for quite sometime now. I love to shoot, and the reliability and cost effeciency of the Glock always appealed to me. The stable full of 9x19 Glocks have served me well, but I grew restless and started a quest for a new fighting handgun chambered in .45 ACP. I've always been interested in Heckler & Koch firearms, but the cost always drove me away. We got in some full-sized HK 45's with Meprolights already installed & some little laser. I picked it up, & took it home.
I've been shooting it for a little while and here is what I know.

It fits- The Karl Nill Company of Germany makes fine wood grips for firearms. They helped develop the HK45's stick. It is out of this world. Stellar. Top-Notch. Incredible. Ergonomics? Haha. It is absolutely incredible. Internet people call it the "Batman" or "Spiderman" grip, I don't care what you call it, it is superior to any double-stacked .45 on the planet. Bar-none.

It's accurate- It has the signature O-Ring on the barrel like the MK23 SOCOM & USP Tactical. Those guns all shot well, and so does this one. The HK 45 also sports the polygonal rifling in the barrel, I don't really care what kind of rifling it has all I know is that the gun likes to put bullet on bullet when I pull the trigger to the rear correctly. Most quality .45 ACP guns shoot extremely well these days (Sig P220, Quality 1911's, FNP 45, M&P, XD, Glock... etc.) So no need to get in a pissing match or benchrest this gun, it was made to shoot people in the chest and it can do that and some. Mine shoots.

It's reliable- I've got a few rounds down the tube with no hiccup, but who cares if it isn't in the 1,000's. Larry Vickers (Ninja Delta Spec-Ops Missle-Man who also helped design the HK 45) has a specimen that did 50,000 documented rounds in 8 months and broke only a spring. When taking a look under the hood it is clear that this thing is a tank. The $500 extra dollars becomes apparent when you realize that this gun literally is built like a brick-you know what-house. The recoil spring is as thick as my thumb. They designed this gun for the Joint Combat Pistol program for the U.S. Gov & it shows. The floor plate for the magazine is some NATO Spec hell-boot that looks like you could pound a tent stake with it. It's fantastically bomb-proof inside and out, not a suprise for the USP aficionado, but for us HK virgins its a pleasant suprise. I plan to take this one to the house, so we'll see. Here's Vicker's HK 45. http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

It's smooth- I've always felt that the .45 ACP has such a beautiful roll to it when fired. Unlike my +P+ 9mm's, & the seemingly constantly pissed-off .40S&W, the .45 is a beautiful blend of power and grace when fired from the right platform. This HK is glorious. It has a huge white recoil buffer attached to the gorilla recoil spring, and I think this, combined with the grip makes it a joy to shoot, even when double-taps are called for. Its silk. It's the G-Wagon of Combat .45's.
ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_hk45denzel.jpg

It's expensive- With the retail price dwindling over 1K this is one expensive piece of plastic. One could nearly buy two of its other competitors for the price of one HK 45. The magazines approach $60.00 USD's which majorly pisses me off. They are extremely well made mags, but i've been buying Glock mags at $26.98 for years and I thought that was expensive.

It's trigger sucks- For fear of boring people to shreds i'm not going to go into the HK Trigger Variants offered. The most common variant you'll find on the rack at the gun-store is Variant 1. This is a DA/SA with a 1911 style thumb-safety that also acts as a de-cocker. The double-action on the V.1 is nothing short of atrocious. The single-action is A-ok with me. Sure I can score a hit with the DA, but why HK would make such a technically superior handgun & put a crappy trigger in it is beyond me. I carry the big HK 45 in the store cocked & locked. I am going to make this particular gun SA with a $10.00 part, with a competant gunsmith & some parts from HKparts.com one can pretty much make this trigger into anything they desire. The bigwigs who actually run this gun (Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn) recommend the LEM (Law Enforcement Module) trigger system. It is essentially a light double-action, and the Border Patrol went with this variant in their HK handguns. So did Denzel in the Book of Eli's star HK 45.... ha. Luckily this trigger BS can be fixed, but it still makes me mad that I drop a K and have to fix the trigger. The platform is so sexy though that I don't care, and the gun sings in single-action.

What is an HK 45?- It appears that alot of the industry didn't get the press release regarding the HK 45. A few manufacturers (Safariland, Crossbreed, Bladetech) offer holsters for the guns. Hardly anyone has the magazines in stock. When I say I carry an HK 45 most people go "Oh a USP? Cool." I kind of like this and I kind of don't. Leroy Thompson ( Professional Bodyguard & Gunrag Writer) has written some articles regarding his pet HK45C, but other than that they don't get much play. The Book of Eli is the 1st time I ever saw an HK45. It's kind of cool to be exclusive, but it kind of sucks to have to order all of your gear online.

The HK 45 is a marvel, it's a powerhouse with the grace of a freaking ballet dancer.

It's as rugged as a Hummer, but drives like a Mercedes.

Don't compare it to your 1911, it ain't.

Don't compare it to your Glock 21, it ain't.

It's a 21st century Fighting Pistol, and it just happens to be my favorite gun.

Thanks for listening,

Jeff Freeman- Sales Associate
H&H Gun Range
400 South Vermont, Suite 110
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
(405) 947-3888

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot this newer H&K .45 but, always heard good things about them. I have a USP 9,USP 9C,and a Tactical .45 with a Blackout can. I had a USP .45C but used it to recupe a $ loss on a trade. I did the same thing. I've owned a Glock 17,19,26,21, and now own a 30. Then I started buying the H&K's. I've never had anything break on a H&K. I've always done my best in matches shooting H&K's. I've got or owned Kimbers, Beretta Elites, Colt 70 Series Gold Cups,ParaOrdnances,Sigs,Walthers,Steyrs, and many others. The H&K's have always worked best for me.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there going to be a couple to shoot for the expo days this weekend? I received one in trade but I never shot it before I traded it off.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only owned the USP's, I think it is one of the finest weapons ever made, but they just don't my hand. I've tried to will them too, and they just don't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom