Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pawning a handgun?

Just FYI about pawning a firearm......

Pawn shops rules' differ in regards to pawning/redeeming firearms.
    Some places require you to have a trigger lock (or you gotta buy one for them before you pawn it)
    Yes you will have to fill out a 4473 to redeem your own gun.
    Some places require your phone number in addition to the 4473 to redeem.....or other whacky nonsense like that.
    They will claim that it is "the law" and the ATF requires them to obtain it.
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but having worked in a pawn shop I can tell you that the local ATF agents in charge of handling pawn shop accounts actually *do* instate such arbitrary "laws" upon any given individual business.

I think it's total bullsh!+ and a complete overstep of their boundaries...but if you ever hear a pawn shop require such ridiculous and trivial measures to buy or redeem a gun...claiming that it's "the law"....don't jump to the conclusion that the pawn shop clerk is a dummy.
    It very well be because that's what the local ATF agent told them to do.
    And the business owner ain't gonna argue with the ATF...ever.

I'm totally serious about this too....
    I pawned a pistol in a west Tulsa shop and after clearing the background check upon redemption they wanted a phone number.
    I told them I didn't have a phone.
    So basically they refused to release my firearm to me until after I gave them a bunk phone number
    ...thereby falsifying information.

Now my first inclination was to impugn their mental capacity and then attempt to make them cite exactly which "law" I was breaking by not having a phone....
    But, after I thought about it, I remember the ATF doing similar stuff at the pawn shop where I worked years ago.....and there really wasn't anything the pawn clerks can do about it.
    They are between a rock and a hard place.
    So then after attempting to enlighten them of the sheer ridiculousness of this requirement I simply directed my impugnity toward the ATF and went on about my business.

Just curious....

How much does it cost you to pawn a gun? Ballpark idea?? (I suspect it varies by the amount borrowed)
    Mike N
    Norman, OK

Support the entire constitution.
    Not just the parts you like.

My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Just curious....

How much does it cost you to pawn a gun? Ballpark idea?? (I suspect it varies by the amount borrowed)
    Typically it's around 10% a month over the amount borrowed, depending on the particular pawn shop.
    Last edited by J.P.; 07-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks J. P.
    Mike N
    Norman, OK

Support the entire constitution.
    Not just the parts you like.

My Feedback