Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

I have a Mossberg 500 which serves primarily as home defense. I'm looking at night sights and I'm thinking a bead sight should be sufficient for my purposes. Are there any real benefits to the ghost ring sights? I'm guessing the only real difference would be with slugs right?
    Feedback

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

I'm going to say that home defense shotgun doesn't need any sights at all - it won't matter at 20 ft.
    My Feedback
    ABEL Racing - Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    There's nothing quite so sweet as the raging impotence of a gun banner

lol, true, maybe I should just mount a flashlight, spread would probably match the beam pretty well, lol. I guess my main question is what is the point of ghost rings on a shotty?
    Feedback

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

I'd spend the $$$ on a mounted light before the tritium bead, and yes, the bead would probably be better for HD.
    J.B.

What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Glocktogo's Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by n8thegr8 View Post
    lol, true, maybe I should just mount a flashlight, spread would probably match the beam pretty well, lol. I guess my main question is what is the point of ghost rings on a shotty?
    I think you had the right idea - slugs.
    My Feedback
    ABEL Racing - Owner

the spread for 00 buck, 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch shell, (which is 9 -- .32 caliber pellets) is about 3.0" at 12 to 20 feet. so, you can miss a torso at this range with a shotgun. Not much of a spread.
    Firearms On Target
    Firearm Instruction for Beginning Handgun and Shotgun Shooters
    w - 918-627-2006
    c - 918-857-5106
    f - 918-627-4945
    P.O. Box 690681
    Tulsa, OK 74169-0681
    NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    National Skeet Shooting Association Level 1 Instructor
    Concealed Carry Instructor
    Insured

dan@firearmsontarget.com

www.firearmsontarget.com

You will not be able to see ANY sights at 12 feet - sights on any self defense firearm are there for practice only; WSHTF it's all muscle memory + panic. Despite the spread - I think it's very hard to miss a torso with any 18"+ firearm - we had three different shooters with no practice hitting milk jug off-the-hip with buckshot from 20 feet.
    My Feedback
    ABEL Racing - Owner

I have always preferred ghost rings on my HD shotguns. For me I'm more comfortable with them, any they give me greater flexibility. BTW I can use my ghost rings as a bead sight for quick target acquisition.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    "OKLAHOMA'S FAVORITE PLUMBERS!"
    Serving The Whole Oklahoma City Metro

I also can refinish your firearms using the beautiful and durable Rust Blue process.
    PM me for more info.

My Feedback

I think the light is very important. As for sights, as long as there is some kind of front sight, I am OK.

I can hit a pop can at 50 yds with a slug using my Remington 870 with just a front bead. I have been shooting less than a year. Learn to shoot with basic sights and everything else will be basic. I also have 3 #4 followed by 3 OO buck, I figure the #4 has greater spread in the dark where I cant see my bead. Hopefully just the sound of the 870 pumping will make the bad guy have a need to be in the next county.

Quote Originally Posted by 3inSlugger View Post
    I can hit a pop can at 50 yds with a slug using my Remington 870 with just a front bead.
    I won a $20 bet doing that.

I personally don't really see the need to have ghost ring sights on a shotgun. The bead is all you really need.
    BOOMER SOONER

My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by 3inSlugger View Post
    Hopefully just the sound of the 870 pumping will make the bad guy have a need to be in the next county.
    Man I hate this saying so badly. I hope that me saying "I have a gun and will shoot you if I see you. I have the Police on the phone and they are on their way." will make them wish they were in the next county.

To the OP bead will be plenty. As someone already pointed out when you are freaking out because you see Johnny Punk walking down your hallway your just going to shoulder, sqeeze, pump, repeat. At 20 feet I'd surely expect anyone here to hit a milk jug, even those who don't own a shotgun as long as they have shot any long gun to include bb guns.

It all boils down to whether or not you can hit a target the size of a pizza box at 5 yds in the dark. So go out to a friend's place in the country in the dead of night, strip down to your underwear, nail a pizza box to a tree, wait for your night vision to kick in, and blast away. If you haven't hit anything, add a flashlight. Repeat. If you still haven't hit anything, put your clothes on and leave your shottie at your friends house. Ghost ring sights aren't going to help you out. Think about investing in a laser or maybe a bodyguard.

You're not likely to use sights at all for HD. At that point it's all instinct. For all practical purposes you could put a glob of bubble gum on the end of the barrel and it would be just as effective in that situation.

I say go with what you are most comfortable with, either will work great. My 590 has excellent ghost ring sights, I see meprolight is making a front tritium sight for my gun. It is on my short list.