Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500 which serves primarily as home defense. I'm looking at night sights and I'm thinking a bead sight should be sufficient for my purposes. Are there any real benefits to the ghost ring sights? I'm guessing the only real difference would be with slugs right?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, true, maybe I should just mount a flashlight, spread would probably match the beam pretty well, lol. I guess my main question is what is the point of ghost rings on a shotty?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the spread for 00 buck, 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch shell, (which is 9 -- .32 caliber pellets) is about 3.0" at 12 to 20 feet. so, you can miss a torso at this range with a shotgun. Not much of a spread.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will not be able to see ANY sights at 12 feet - sights on any self defense firearm are there for practice only; WSHTF it's all muscle memory + panic. Despite the spread - I think it's very hard to miss a torso with any 18"+ firearm - we had three different shooters with no practice hitting milk jug off-the-hip with buckshot from 20 feet.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always preferred ghost rings on my HD shotguns. For me I'm more comfortable with them, any they give me greater flexibility. BTW I can use my ghost rings as a bead sight for quick target acquisition.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can hit a pop can at 50 yds with a slug using my Remington 870 with just a front bead. I have been shooting less than a year. Learn to shoot with basic sights and everything else will be basic. I also have 3 #4 followed by 3 OO buck, I figure the #4 has greater spread in the dark where I cant see my bead. Hopefully just the sound of the 870 pumping will make the bad guy have a need to be in the next county.

Latest posts

Top Bottom