Savage model 93R17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought this rifle about 2 months ago. It's got a Rex 3-9x44e scope. Fired about 20 rounds through it after purchasing it with only bore sighting done. It was high and right. Finally got to sight it in yesterday.

Our property has some nice contouring to it and I was able to set up a little range with a 75 yard lane. I found an 18 inch diameter, round piece of 1/8 plate steel to hang from my home-made stand amde from 2x4 lumber. Set up a table at 25 yards and sighted that rifle.

I'm fairly new to guns and shooting. Only owned guns and been shooting for about a year now. After setting up the shooting lane on Sunday, I fired my POS Win 190 .22lr rifle at the steel target from 25 yards. The hollow point rounds dented the steel. Then, I fired my wife's M&P9 at it from 25 yards with 115 grain, fmj rounds. Again, just dents. Well, the 17HMR rounds the Savage fires penetrated the steel from 25, 50 and 75 yards. That was a bit surprising to me. But also very cool. To bad I didn't have this thing sighted in when I had to take that skunk down with my XD 9 a month ago. Look out now ye varmints!

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah do some searching on youtube and you will find that the .17hmr will penetrate body armor! Its deffinatly a wicked little round. I just picked one up last night on the ugly side of the scale in my book for $200 and gave it a makeover.

when I got it
ai876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_CIMG0640.jpg

now
[Broken External Image]

cant wait to see what it will do.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looked great till I dropped it and foo bared the scope lol, oh well I bought a new BSA 6-24x40 mil dot for it tonight. Looks wicked cool with the big scope and 3'' sun shade on it. Good thing I got it at a steal for $200 huh. $200 was just for the rifle and tasco scope, I added the bipod

Latest posts

Top Bottom