Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Default Best Deal on .308 Bulk Ammo?

I've been considering adding a 7.62x51 rifle to my firearm portfolio. Right now it's between the FAL and M1A. Before I make my purchase, I'm trying to find out the best place to purchase bulk ammo, as well as how much it will cost per 1000 rounds. I've found milsurp (Radway Green) and new stuff (ATI) for around $400/1000rds. Is this typical, or are there better deals out there?
    "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest." ---Adam Smith

"Ya don't weigh in, ya don't wrassle" --- Mac

"We sometimes forget the power of "NO.". "NO." has unique properties. It doesn't invite further discussion. It doesn't respond well to queries or parsing language. It is what it is, a powerful, simple statement of fact. There is no "why?", there is simply "NO"." --- Glocktogo

Default Re: Best Deal on .308 Bulk Ammo?

sgammo, 200 rounds of winchester for 115 bucks

edit same ammo at ammunition to go is 550 per 1000, might be worth it to have the brass to reload if you are into that.
    "If it wasn't for horses and divorces I'd be doing all right" ..... Slaid Cleaves

I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

Here are 2 deals:
    FN MFG 308 147GR FMJ AMMUNITION match quality $88/200
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|848

Malaysian .308 (7.62x51) 147grn FMJ 300rd can $124.95 3x300/$359.85
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A308M

If you decide to go with the M1A, of which I own one, you might want to read this Thread from the M1A Rifle Forum; http://www.m1arifles.com/m1a-forum/m...ude=1&search=1

Quote Originally Posted by doctorjj View Post
    I have put a couple hundred rounds of this ammo through my LR-308, quality stuff, but it is corrosive and non reloadable
    Feed back http://www.okshooters.com/forums/sho...t=rebelracer79

Quote Originally Posted by r00s7a View Post
    And simply because I'm top of the food chain and I can.
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Sapulpa View Post
    If you decide to go with the M1A, of which I own one, you might want to read this Thread from the M1A Rifle Forum; http://www.m1arifles.com/m1a-forum/m...ude=1&search=1
    That kind of info is why I don't own any Springfield Armory junk. I want a gun that will work with anything I feed it.
    not just high dollar fancy pants ammo.

Mr Ed- Maybe you need to read the thread again and use some common sense. I own a M1A scout and shoot SP handloads and have had no problems to date. I may switch to some HP GameKings in 165 gr,but I have not experienced any malfunctions. Approx 300 rounds have been run thru the gun so far. The SA weapon is a fine piece and the Army and spec forces seem to agree. Just my .02.

Pokem: I don't mean to preach or tell you that the sky is blue, but if you lean towards getting an FAL, do research before buying. I found out (after buying my FAL) that there is a major difference in the quality between various lower receiver designs from different manufacturers. Some are great, some are junk. Generally speaking I like my FAL, but I often wish I had spent a little more and got a gun equipped with a higher quality lower receiver.

I don't do a lot of shooting with my Springfield Armory M1A Scout (maybe 60-100 rounds per month) so I don't buy bulk ammo. I usually run 168gr OTM American Eagle or Federal 168gr Match through my M1A. Midway just had a pretty decent sale on Federal Match ammo (I have a case on backorder) and Cheaper Than Dirt was selling the American Eagle for about $15 per box. As to shooting soft point bullets, I have shot plenty of 150gr SP Win through my Scout with 100% reliability. My M1A Scout will shoot three shot MOA groups with just about any brand of factory ammo.
    Last edited by R K9 J; 08-22-2011 at 08:19 AM.

One of the main reasons I switched calibers fro ma 25-06 to the .308 was because of the ammo supply. I've been buying a lot of the 168g Federal Match ammo but I am worried if I buy surplus rounds it could be a dramatic difference. I have a 20" 1:10 barrel in my rifle, what could I expect with lighter bullets?

I have, except for deer season, used surplus South African, Portugese and Australian for plinking and for hog hunting for several years in my standard M1A and my SOCOM 16. Never had any problems in either of those rifles with any ammo.
    "When I die and go to heaven, if there are no dogs there, I want to go where the dogs are."
    Will Rogers

Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...one+Wolf+%2749

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 shooter View Post
    Pokem: I don't mean to preach or tell you that the sky is blue, but if you lean towards getting an FAL, do research before buying. I found out (after buying my FAL) that there is a major difference in the quality between various lower receiver designs from different manufacturers. Some are great, some are junk. Generally speaking I like my FAL, but I often wish I had spent a little more and got a gun equipped with a higher quality lower receiver.
    Did you mean upper receiver? What do you have now?

I never had any probs with Soft Point ammo out of the Fal's. Any ammo for that matter. I wouldn't suggest corrosive by any means.
    Just shop the online ammo suppliers.