.300 AAC Blackout - what's required for a build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the itch to do a 300 AAC Blackout build and have read a little about it over on AAC's forums, but I really don't get what all I need to do a build.

Technically, I think I can use the same lower and mags right, since its a necked-up .223 casing isn't it (or is there an OAL issue with the cartridge)? I've build 5 ARs in 5.56, so I'm not concerned with how-to basics, just what specific parts I need designed for the new round that would be different than a 5.56 part.

I am interested in starting into some research, but it seems like there's a lot more opinions out there and less facts from what I've read so far, unless I'm just not looking in the right places.

Anyone got a good starting place for basics of a .300 AAC Blackout build?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300blkforum.com

The barrel is the only non standard part. You need to know what the main use will be before deciding on the gas system for the barrel. Most of the barrels have a pistol length system, but a you can get them with the carbine length system. I have 2 barrels ordered from Delta Arms, 6.5" and 12.5". There is a pretty good lead time for custom barrels, but I know CMMG has them in stock

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300blkforum.com

The barrel is the only non standard part. You need to know what the main use will be before deciding on the gas system for the barrel. Most of the barrels have a pistol length system, but a you can get them with the carbine length system. I have 2 barrels ordered from Delta Arms, 6.5" and 12.5". There is a pretty good lead time for custom barrels, but I know CMMG has them in stock

Wait... what?

I don't need a different buffer/spring or anything?

I very much appreciate the info guys - I'm hitting that page now and doing some more looky-looing. This is going to happen now for sure.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait... what?

I don't need a different buffer/spring or anything?

I very much appreciate the info guys - I'm hitting that page now and doing some more looky-looing. This is going to happen now for sure.

From the miniscule amount that I've checked into these, I can echo what those above said. That the barrel is the only thing different. But like above, check into the gas system depending on SBR or not, suppressed or not, and your targeted load. I'm going to go with carbine gas, buffer and spring. I think..... That's if I build one, I'm toying with the notion.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an SDN-6 on order and that's why I researched the heck out of the 300BLK a month or two back. I am thinking about getting another barrel in 16" with a carbine gas system for another upper build. Why have just 1 when you can have 3?

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i looked into it... cmmg has pistol length or carbine length barrels for 250... chuck em into an upper... or find a cheapy upper with a noname barrel and rebarrel it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom