Right-Hand Bolt-Gun for Lefty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the posts in the past about lefty's using right-hand rifles and running the bolt with their right hand. Is this a viable or even preferred choice that's mostly a matter of training?

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reach over with my left hand to work the bolt like for a fast follow up shot. shooting off the bench and before i've mounted the rifle i use my right hand.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my lefty friends have "bitten the bullet" and gone to left hand bolt action rifles, but they all have a few right handed ones too. The majority of them use their right hand to work the bolt. CB

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a southpaw and have no issues with reaching over the top with my left hand and cycling the bolt on a standard bolt gun. Most of my experience is with M1903s, and the handle angle allows it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of rifle the German Sniper is shooting? I'vh had several Mausers, and the back end of the bolt didn't look like that on any of them. The 03s I have seen do have that type of bolt. CB

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a lefty but I've always (since I was 5 or so) shot rifles and shotguns right-handed. My left eye is dominant and I do have slightly better vision in it also, but neither of those things has ever effected me in any way that I can tell. I do prefer to shoot a pistol left handed to confuse things even more, but I can also shoot one right handed, I just don't practice as much doing it.

Shooting right handed long guns has allowed me to not have to worry about how I'll work the bolt or finding & buying left handed firearms. I enjoy the freedom it provides me.

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of rifle the German Sniper is shooting? I'vh had several Mausers, and the back end of the bolt didn't look like that on any of them. The 03s I have seen do have that type of bolt. CB

If you are talking about the Saving Private Ryan clip that is posted here, that is an American, and he is shooting a Springfield 1903A4.

Latest posts

Top Bottom