Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best bait for bluegill and redear sunfish?

I've found a great place to take my boys fishing for the last few months of warm weather before the big hunt begins. The lake is supposedly covered over with redear and bluegill sunfish. My question is what is the best bait to snag these fish? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Fortuna favet fortibus

Banned

Default Re: Best bait for bluegill and redear sunfish?

If where you are is anything like where I am then there are huge grasshoppers everywhere! They are great bait, but not as easy to catch as you would think!

I wonder if you can get grasshoppers or crickets in a bait shop.
    Fortuna favet fortibus

Banned

You can get crickets at most places, even a Pet Depot or Pets Mart if you have one near by. They will work great.
    Or just use worms, cant go wrong with them either.

I use a small piece of night crawler in our ponds. Can't keep em off the hook.

I gave my grandkids a box of worms, rigged their little ultalights with the smallest hooks I had and sent them after some perch for my jug lines. 20 minutes later they brought me forteen little bluegills. Can't beat small pieces of worms with the right size hooks. Have fun.
    Keep your nose in the wind, your powder dry, and your eye along the skyline.

feedback
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?114704-Wft

Yeah just a tiny bit of worm on a little hook or a tiny jig. When they are hitting good anything will work, i've pinched off a bit of plastic worm and put it on a little hook. They won't hit it twice, but if you pick it up and drop it agian they will.
    I always keep a little jar of the berkey crappy bait in my box. It works pretty good on jigs and is always ready.

About inch of night crawler on a number 6 hook works good. You can get 4-5 pieces from each night crawler. If you are careful to use the same night crawler to pinch off, you save the whole crawlers for the next trip in the fridge. Sprinkle old tea bag or teaspoon of corn meal in container for food.
    Part of the best entertainment (for kids) is catching your own bait. Grasshoppers can be found in many places. Rural road ditches Hiking trails etc.
    Go to a gas station or other area well lit with white flourecent lights at night and pick up all the crickets you can.
    My Feedback
    Oklahomabassin Feedback

Ridgehunter--I'm always so grateful I never talk. Vaginas are like wild animals. You have to be very quiet or you scare them away. Even after you gain one's trust you should still be *amazed* it comes close enough to let you touch it. Especially most of us here. I've seen a lot of ya'll. Don't call up all your friends and yell "IT'S EATING FROM MY HAND RIGHT NOW."

like someone said if they are biting they will bite almost anything,i like worms best because you can catch 2 or 3 sometimes without having to bait your hook again,if they are not biting take a #6 hook no sinker on light line like 4 to 6# and for bait use the skin off a weiner you can use a float to throw it out just do'nt use no weight. that piece of wiener floating down slowly they can'nt resist it good luck and have fun. kids remember things like this there all there life a kudos to you for taking them not near enough dads take there kids to do outdoors funs things that includes me also.i will tell anybody on here that lives out west to take there kids to sandy sanders and let them ride there bikes the rodes there are great for riding bikes and you can fish also in a couple of ponds they have

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalii View Post
    I use a small piece of night crawler in our ponds. Can't keep em off the hook.
    Hard to beat night crawlers.
    My Feedback. Do it........Do it.
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?82899-Biggsly

Warning. Reading my post may give you butthurt.

I have the right to deal with who I like.

http://paulfranson.intuitwebsites.com/ Safe Haven Animal Rescue
    http://www.okhumane.org/
    http://thebellafoundation.org/
    http://www.greatplainsmastiffrescue.org/
    http://www.worldbirdsanctuary.org/

Some of the micro jigs you can buy at fly shops, suspended under a float will work too.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I read recently that you can catch grasshoppers by putting an old flannel blanket down in the grass and slowly circle the blanket shooing the hoppers towards it. When they land on it their legs or spurs get caught in the old flannel and they cannot escape. I have not had time to try this but I will shortly.

crickets/hoppers are best for bluegills and worms are best for redears

white fatty part of bacon

Blog Entries

Canned corn.
    "When firing a warning shot, make sure it is a double-tap and center mass."