Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Patron cooljeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    I was doing some internet searching to check out a seemingly common problem with kydex holsters. I just bought a Blackhawk CCQ Serpa tonight and I love the feel, speed and draw of it. The downside of course is why I have never owned one before, which is the fast wear it causes to slide finish. I have only holstered and unholstered it maybe 15-20 times just to test fit everything and it is already starting to have very slight wear on the muzzle end where it contacts the end of the holster.


    Long story short, I have read online that many people use moleskin self adhesive patches ( found in any drugstore in the footcare isle ) on the very end near the muzzle to reduce/eliminate the wear on that part. Apparantly it's simple to put on, works really well, and can be replaced very easily.


    has anyone tried this before on a kydex holster? and if you have any pics that would be even better!
    Please leave me some kind words if we have had a good transaction. I will be sure to return the favor!

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?20406-cooljeff


    " All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

  2. #2
    Patron cooljeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    oh and I know some people will say "holster wear adds character" or "love the look of the worn guns", ect. I will say cool I am happy for ya! as for me I know i'm OCD my wife tells me all the time. But I feel about like my guns like I do my wife, I don't want the old worn look on her and I don't want the old worn look on them! LOL. Hope she never looks at this.
    Please leave me some kind words if we have had a good transaction. I will be sure to return the favor!

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?20406-cooljeff


    " All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

  3. #3
    Patron cooljeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    really? no one has used it on here?

    Has anyone used any type of stick on felt type fabric to make it work?
    Please leave me some kind words if we have had a good transaction. I will be sure to return the favor!

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?20406-cooljeff


    " All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    I think eventually anything rubbing against the pistol will cause wear...even leather holsters cause wear. So moleskin might just delay the inevitable while adding the additional possibilty of peeling off, clogging and otherwise wreaking havoc inside the holster.
    Hope is not a course of action. -MSG Anthony "Bucket" Pryor

    Quote Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
    ...Every man can contribute something. In your case it sounds like the dogs will eat good ...
    My Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?60091-Sms

  5. #5

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Comptac sells sheets of it, but as a backing for their holsters, ie the side against the body. Should be durable enough, and I believe I have seen some other companies line holsters with it as well.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    I think eventually anything rubbing against the pistol will cause wear...even leather holsters cause wear. So moleskin might just delay the inevitable while adding the additional possibilty of peeling off, clogging and otherwise wreaking havoc inside the holster.
    he doesn't keep a pistol long enough to worry about that. it's short term.....very short term

  7. #7

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by cooljeff View Post
    I was doing some internet searching to check out a seemingly common problem with kydex holsters. I just bought a Blackhawk CCQ Serpa tonight and I love the feel, speed and draw of it. The downside of course is why I have never owned one before, which is the fast wear it causes to slide finish. I have only holstered and unholstered it maybe 15-20 times just to test fit everything and it is already starting to have very slight wear on the muzzle end where it contacts the end of the holster.


    Long story short, I have read online that many people use moleskin self adhesive patches ( found in any drugstore in the footcare isle ) on the very end near the muzzle to reduce/eliminate the wear on that part. Apparantly it's simple to put on, works really well, and can be replaced very easily.


    has anyone tried this before on a kydex holster? and if you have any pics that would be even better!
    Jeff,
    I tried it on the inside of this RM Low Rider IWB i was telling you about, (www.rmholsters.com) for a Glock; i just used the pads you buy from CVS or Wally or whatever. Only problem I had was it tended to pick up grit and scratch the beautimus finish on my pistola.

  8. #8
    Patron cooljeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    he doesn't keep a pistol long enough to worry about that. it's short term.....very short term

    Very funny Kendall, Although it is pretty much true.

    I am trying to beat a record and keep it at least 6 months! LOL. although I did have a custom Glock 19 that I kept for over 2 years! that is a personal record for me.
    Please leave me some kind words if we have had a good transaction. I will be sure to return the favor!

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?20406-cooljeff


    " All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    I know the best way to prevent holster wear. Don't put your gun in a holster. Its that simple.
    ...reality is always plural and mutable.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

    Hoplophobia

    My feedback

  10. #10

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Real men carry Mexican Style...

    Holster? Holster! We don't need no stinkin' HOLSTERS!

    Well - actually - only the stupid, the desperate or thugs carry Mexican Style. But HEY! Someone had'ta say it.
    Smile - and Laugh Often...

    Life is GOOD!


  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    i guess just like everything, you have to give and take i really have never noticed bad holster wear on any of my guns, and that is mainly all i use is Blackhawk or fobus holsters.
    MEMBER OF THE FAT GUY SHOOTING TEAM.

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...otinpreacher48

  12. #12

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    The holster I use is a hybrid of leather/Kydex. While not cheap it truly is the best of both worlds. If you don't plan to keep your gun long then an expensive holster may not be a good investment for you.

    Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder



    Last edited by ripnbst; 09-17-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: to add pics
    My Feedback Thread

  13. #13
    Patron cooljeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by ripnbst View Post
    The holster I use is a hybrid of leather/Kydex. While not cheap it truly is the best of both worlds. If you don't plan to keep your gun long then an expensive holster may not be a good investment for you.

    Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder




    That is probably one of the sweetest holsters I have seen. I love the leather, but I have always liked the rigid and durable quality of the kydex. I have always bought leather because they seem to wear very, very little once they are broke in. I had the Glock 19 for over 2 years in the same holster and never noticed even a slight amount of wear.

    But I just fixed my Blackhawk to my preference, I simply bought some of the moleskin pads that I mentioned and cut them to fit the sides and the top. Not it is good and snug in the holster and not rattling around and loose and it is as smooth and soft as a babies butt.
    Please leave me some kind words if we have had a good transaction. I will be sure to return the favor!

    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?20406-cooljeff


    " All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using a Zahal holster?
    By Deslock in forum Gear Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 12:36 AM
  2. Anyone using eBenefits for VA
    By cowzrul in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 08:48 PM
  3. has anyone used TDSA for training?
    By bhollie in forum Self Defense and Handgun Carry (Concealed and Open)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  4. Anyone used Power Jack for foundation repair?
    By zseese in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 12:27 AM
  5. anyone use magnet holsters?
    By Jon3830 in forum Self Defense and Handgun Carry (Concealed and Open)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 01:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •