Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legal to hunt Coyotes and Feral Hogs at night?

I was looking on the wild life department website and can't seem to find a definitive answer on a question I have.

Is it legal to hunt coyotes and hogs at night with the use of a night vision monocular like a PVS-14 on a private hunting lease?

Thanks,

Jake
    My Feedback

------------

Default Re: Legal to hunt Coyotes and Feral Hogs at night?

From the ODWC website, http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hu...th%20firearms?

"Can we hunt hogs at night with firearms?

No. It is illegal to hunt hogs at night, except landowners can get a depredation permit from the State Game Warden in their county that will allow them to shoot hogs at night."
    "But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

here's my feedback

Not sure about hogs but yotes is legal IF you notify the game warden that you will be doing so. Dont want them suspecting you of poaching deer.
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
    This is the 21st century America, we care more about who shoved what into britney spear's turdcutter than anything actually important.
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
    Not sure about hogs but yotes is legal IF you notify the game warden that you will be doing so. Dont want them suspecting you of poaching deer.
    Please show us a link to the regulations that back your statement up.
    My Feedback
    Oklahomabassin Feedback

Ridgehunter--I'm always so grateful I never talk. Vaginas are like wild animals. You have to be very quiet or you scare them away. Even after you gain one's trust you should still be *amazed* it comes close enough to let you touch it. Especially most of us here. I've seen a lot of ya'll. Don't call up all your friends and yell "IT'S EATING FROM MY HAND RIGHT NOW."

In my experience, game wardens are pretty liberal about giving permission to spotlight hogs, except during deer season... which is when the pecans fall and farmers want to protect their crop. During that period we had to actually prove that the hogs were a nuisance to the crops and they would come out and inspect and then would allow it, but they would always only give a week permit when normally they'd give 30 days. At any other times we just call and let them know where we were going to be and they say have at it. I'm sure that varies from warden to warden, as it is somewhat a judgement call.
    I'd like a chance to shoot at an educated man once in my life.

Sounds like I need to call my local warden and speak with him/her. I didn't want to waste their time if it was obviously illegal. Sounds like there is a grey area that might benefit me.

Thanks,

Jake
    My Feedback

------------

My warden told me no for hogs at night. Must abide by the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabassin View Post
    Please show us a link to the regulations that back your statement up.
    Not sure its in the regs, there is no season on yotes and no limit. The game warden told me to warn him if I would be spotlighting yotes at night so if anyone reported it, he would know it was me.

Same principle with burning my pasture off in spring the fire department asks that you tell them so when the passerby sees it and calls it in, they know its me and a controled burn.
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
    This is the 21st century America, we care more about who shoved what into britney spear's turdcutter than anything actually important.
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    My warden told me no for hogs at night. Must abide by the regulations.
    He must have had some reasoning for not allowing it, I don't think "you must abide by the regulations" is the best of answers, but it is his call. Was this on your own land that you were refused?

As far as coyotes goes...

"It shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and any sight dog."

That being said, there are probably special provisions for depredation permits if deemed necessary by your local warden, but I would ask no one but them specifically. Backpeddling with a warden shining a light in your face, regurgitating what you "read on the internet" probably won't get your butt out of a pickle... but it may get the pickle out of your butt when you pucker!

There used to be a clause in the regs about hunting coyotes at night with a shotgun only, no bigger than #6 shot, and with the game wardens written permission. I can't find it in this years regs. I tried it a few times back in the day but it just frustrated me to not be able to kill them well. The regs now that say no shooting from dark to daylight with the aid of any light. That seems to leave it open to a night vision scope that you don't need a light with.
    Go Pokes!

Our "general regulations" state "legal shooting hours"
    1/2 before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset
    Now then, a GW can give a "land owner" a "night shooting permit" but the permit is only given to the land owner and to use on his own property. The land owner can allow others to use it on those properties after being OK'ed by the GW.
    I went through this this summer on my uncles place trying to thin out some hogs.
    But I've also had GW tell us we could shoot yote at night depending on the area and we had to notify him before hand, I'm assuming he didn't want to deal with paper work?

Oh yes, on my uncles place. The GW wouldn't issue us a permit for guns at night but was fine with us using a bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignerntbend View Post
    When they let you be Pope , you get to pick out your own name.
    When that no-pus$y getting motherfukcer picked out his own name what name did he pick?
    Francis! Francis, I shi+ you not!

My feedback https://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ghlight=AllOut

I've never seen an actual written permit for night hunting. When it was during deer season, GW took down all of our license #'s and legal description of where we were going to be. It was for the land owner and for three others that he chose ahead of time. If he did any further paperwork other than that, I couldn't tell you. In a different area now and we call the GW and he just gives a verbal OK.

Came across this thread on another site, although it is a year and a half old...

http://www.okpredatorhunters.com/for...t&Number=55622

That's where I am confused... My PVS-14 doesn't need any artificial light. Therefore, I think it would be okay to hunt hogs at night with a firearm or a bow. I would be okay with either. Taking coyotes would be a plus, but I would be okay with just hogs. I'll just call my local GW and see what his thoughts are on it.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Jake
    My Feedback

------------

Where's Jared when you need him, he'd be able to give you a solid answer.

When there is a question, I always err on the side of caution, until told otherwise.

Just spoke with my local GW. He said that a night vision "scope" is a no go. A monocular, like my PVS-14 is okay since it is not mounted to the firearm. Also, spotlighting is okay too. However, you have to have a permit to hunt coyotes or hogs at night. This permit can be made out for a week or a year. The permit must be requested by the land owner. Any number of "shooters" can be included on the permit that is submitted by the landowner. Your local GW would have to come out to the land and see the need for the permit. If he agrees, then he can issue the permit right there on the spot. This is what my local GW told me. Each might have a different view of the rules.

Thanks,

Jake
    My Feedback

------------