Some more public hunting stories from today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took vacation this week and was down in SE oklahoma on some public land. Pulled up about 5:50 to the parking area and there was another guy getting dressed. I told him I planned to hunt just about 200 yards from our trucks if he didn't mind. He said no prob as he was going way back in there. I told him I would wait on him to gear up so we could walk in together. About 3 seconds later it sounds like he has pots and pans out beating them with a wooden spoon. He was only getting his stuff out but was so loud, slamming doors and tailgate up and down. Anyways we start walking in under a bright full moon so I turn my cap light off, saying I obviously don't need this as bright as it was.

Well it was then his turn to show of his high beam cap light. I asked if he thought we really needed that, and he said heck ya, its brand new. So we are walking right to my area, and he is talking, carrying on, unfortunately not knowing how to whisper. I ended up just saying I was hunting here so he would leave and I got settled in finally in my little camo chair between 2 trees. Well I look over my shoulder and see the light going back and forth back and forth about 60 yards from me. I knew he was looking for the trail in the brush bc about 5 seconds later I hear "Found it".

Anyways after that was over I had 1 fawn walk right by me at dawn then 2 does about 8:10. They had already spotted me threw the tree bc the front one was staring hard at me and stomping. Finally after 30 seconds they started walking towards my shooting lane, and before I could even get a draw they busted out on me and starting blowing.

Do you think it would be to much pressure to go back in tonight? I was in there last night and when walking out 2 deer busted me in the same area (could have been same ones, but no idea). Never saw their head bc it was getting dark, just white tail from a few hundred yards running away from me. I can hunt in the morning, but it looks like it might rain. Tonight or morning? Suggestions?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you need to go back whenever the other guy is not going to be there.:) JK, I'll almost always take a morning hunt over an evening hunt if I have to choose one or the other, unless I know for sure there is a large set of antlers walking by the same spot at the same spot every evening. My dad would say go morning and evening, you won't harvest a deer if you're not out there. Good luck to you!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have somewhere else to hunt I would move on for a few days.... But then again it is public land so there may always be people in there. If you do hunt the same spot, change your location by 50 to 100 yards. They will often remember where something looked out of place from before and will look right there before passing by again.

Good luck. If you're seeing that many deer in range this early on public land, you're doing good.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say Hi to someone but walk in alone. Keep your light on so some beginner that gets excited does not shoot you in the dark. I usually use a red light walking in if I don't need the white light just to let people know. If you go back to the same area, I would move and change your set up. A ground blind can be very effective if you do a good job on it. One way to do one is to cut some lower limbs out of a cedar and then pull the upper limbs down and wire them to a stake or something heavy on the ground and leave a shooting hole and then add some dead brush, limbs around the outside. You are shaded well and can move a little without getting busted. Sounds like your original spot is not good anymore. Stay after them. Sounds like the guy didn't hurt you any. Good luck.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest going farther back into public land. You are currently hunting a funnel... a people funnel. The further away you get from the parking lot, the better. And might even get there earlier, that way when ol headlight gets there he'll just be pushing everything towards you. But if you want to hunt that same place for some reason, go for it. I don't think does are nearly as spooky as a buck might be, if they get bumped, they are less likely to change their whole pattern. Just out of curiosity, where are you hunting in SE OK? If you're around Three Rivers or Honobia, there's lots of room to stretch out and get away from those that you described. Good luck to ya man, hope you get a big un!

Latest posts

Top Bottom