Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black Lab, hip problems, What to do?

I have a black lab who is around 11 years old. She is slowing down and showing her age. I've notice she (like me) is having a harder time getting up. It just looks like she is hurting from her hips from arthritis or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what works to ease the pain. I don't want any "as seen on tv" pills, just something someone else has used and really believes works. I have bad knees and tried the glucosamine/chondroiton (sp?) thing for over a year and didn't feel it did anything for me.

Please let me know, Roxy will thank you later.

Default Re: Black Lab, hip problems, What to do?

Labs and most all large breeds are prone to Hip Dysplasia as they get older. Is your dog overweight by chance, that can excelerate the problem. Meds may be the only way to relieve the pain unless you are willing to do surgery on both hips which is costly from what I saw before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Sometimes - doing the right thing isn't easy but its always right.
    My Feedback...

Blog Entries

My dogs have had troubles like that too. Last few years the drug industry has targeted the vet industry with some pain and arthritis drugs that help manage the symptoms. Have a vet check the dog out and see what he says.

Back in the day... we would grind up a plain old asprin and feed it to a stiff old dog... It seemed to help.
    press the red button... worth the effort and usually a lot of fun
    TIOCFAIDH AR LA!

I think they can take ibuprofen, too.

My parents have a lab who isn't that old, maybe 6 or so, but she's all bound up like she's 15... apparently she survived parvo and the vet said it would make her old before her time due to the stress on the body. She's also VERY overweight... prolly close to 100 lbs by now.

I don't know if any vets do steroid shots in the hips, but that's an idea.... every few months, maybe. We do it to people, seems reasonable someone would do it to dogs, too. Matter of fact, if my vet would show me where to do it, I'd do it to my parents' dog... she hurts.
    "You never know why you're alive, until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard
    Caeci caecos ducentes.

Feedback here.

POST #12 - We Will Never Forget

I feel for you - I had a black Lab with severe joint pain, and his large-boned physique didn't help. I did put him on a diet, and he went from 120 to 105 lbs, which helped a bit. Glucosamine/chondroitin helped too, so it probably varies from dog to dog. He was also on Rimadyl which made quite a bit of difference for a while, so be sure to bring that up with your vet.

Unfortunately, it'll probably just get worse Best of luck with your dog, and give him lots of love and an orthopedic dog bed!

Cosamine seems to help our old dog (16). Weight seems to be a factor, is you dog over weight? Does not cure it but every little bit will help.
    Good luck

When our last dog suffered from hip pain at that age the vet said she needed to lose weight and give her a baby aspirin once a day. It helped her pain a lot.
    Smile - and Laugh Often...

Life is GOOD!

We have a red healer with hip issues, he used to be really slow to get up and you can tell they dont feel well. We started giving him the joint pills you can get at walmart along with a vitamin. It really helped him.

My 10 year old Lab/Great Pyrenees mix has arthritis in both front legs.

He is currently taking 400mg of Etodolac (NSAID) per day along with Joint Max supplement (Contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Zinc, and Vitamin C).
    He has responded well to both. Before starting the meds he was almost completely immobile. Now he is much more active, even running
    for short distances.

We just went through this with our black lab, who we had for 15 years. It is a painful thing to watch. Our girl could hardly get up if she fell, which was often. If she fell on a slick floor like in the kitchen, she couldn't get up at all without our help. It will only get worse with time, so prepare yourself for when the time comes to end the misery.

Good luck to you.
    I love Christmas lights. They remind me of the people who voted for Obama.
    They all hang together; half of the little bastards don't work, and the ones that do aren't that bright.

The problem with most animals that have hip and joint issues is grains. Dog food is stuffed full of fillers. Gluten is know for causing this problem in both humans and animals. We have our labradoodle on a grain free feed and once he was on it all of the ear infection problems went away and he should not have any health issue that are "common" among this breed.

We have done extensive research because the price of treating the ear infections was outrageous. Grains are the main problem with most ailments today in both humans and pets.

I am not a fan of scrips and since changing our own diets and that of our canine friend, my family stays well and have very few issues and kids never get sick or miss scholl even when something is "going around". People think we are crazy, but I am the only one of my friends that doesn't have high blood pressure, excessive weight, or high cholesterol. Our diet consist of mainly meat, and veggies. Very little fruit, or grains. Lots of meat. grass fed, grass finished beef always at home. Yes the grain cattle eat ends up in your system.

All this to say try buying grain free dog food for your pet or put em on a raw meat diet(we do the raw meat and cow inards when we slaughter a cow) and it should ease the arthritis and joint issues.

Rimadyl and glucosamine gave my dog a few extra years. Happy years. They say Rimadyl is bad on kidneys, but for chrissakes, he was 12 or 13 when we put him on it, so who cares?. The difference Rimadyl made was absolutely huge. Be sure and talk to your vet about it.

Good luck to you and Roxy. It's heartbreaking to see your pup slow down, but I have confidence you can have her feeling better in short order with some treatment.
    Oh, it tasted so good though.

Quote Originally Posted by B96brig4CC View Post
    The problem with most animals that have hip and joint issues is grains. Dog food is stuffed full of fillers. Gluten is know for causing this problem in both humans and animals. We have our labradoodle on a grain free feed and once he was on it all of the ear infection problems went away and he should not have any health issue that are "common" among this breed.

We have done extensive research because the price of treating the ear infections was outrageous. Grains are the main problem with most ailments today in both humans and pets.

I am not a fan of scrips and since changing our own diets and that of our canine friend, my family stays well and have very few issues and kids never get sick or miss scholl even when something is "going around". People think we are crazy, but I am the only one of my friends that doesn't have high blood pressure, excessive weight, or high cholesterol. Our diet consist of mainly meat, and veggies. Very little fruit, or grains. Lots of meat. grass fed, grass finished beef always at home. Yes the grain cattle eat ends up in your system.

All this to say try buying grain free dog food for your pet or put em on a raw meat diet(we do the raw meat and cow inards when we slaughter a cow) and it should ease the arthritis and joint issues.
    Thats good advice right there.
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
    This is the 21st century America, we care more about who shoved what into britney spear's turdcutter than anything actually important.
    MY FEEDBACK

Start with basic husbandry: a thick foam pad to sleep on, hot-packs (those corn bags work well) on her hips when she's down, passive range-of-motion exercises to keep her loose, weight loss, etc.

Next step, add nutraceuticals: omega-3 fatty acids and a high quality glucosamine/msm supplement (I recommend Glycoflex as it's easy to give, but there are a lot of quality products out there). Adequan injections benefit some dogs immensely also. Long-term steroids are degenerative, so we try to steer clear of them (they also don't seem to offer much benefit in dogs).

Step 3, add pharmaceuticals. This generally means NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam and Zubrin would be common ones. These could be supplemented with narcotics when necessary (tramadol finds a lot of use here).

Total hip replacement surgery can be an option for some dogs, albeit a rather expensive one.
    Ibuprofen is NOT safe for dogs (neither is Naproxine). Tylenol is ok. Aspirin is safe enough, but can't be used in conjunction with any of the more effective NSAIDs so I don't recommend it anymore.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    -George Washington, speech of Jan. 7, 1790

Baby Asprin is the ticket. My wife the Vet Tech recommended it.
    My Feedback Thread