What do you do with your coyote?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about going coyote hunting soon, but wasn't sure what I would do if I got one. Do you guys skin them or mount them? Or do you just leave them out there for the birds?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use skin them but for what they were bring I wouldn't do it again. You pretty well need the stomach of a possum to skin one of the stinking things..

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had one that had a skin worthy of my time to skin except twice, when I didn't have time to skin it. But I've been told if you will skin them as soon as you kill them then the smell isn't bad, but if you wait even 30 minutes they get "green belly" (not sure what that is, just what I was told) and start reaking quickly. But ideally you would skin them. They are one of the few animals most people don't mind you just leaving lay once you kill it.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if it is a good one i will skin it. (i am trying to get enough good looking furs to make me a blanket. 6 furs now in freezer needing 6 more.)

if it has mange, i dig a small hole and bury it. i keep a shovel in the back of the truck just incase, if i cant dig a hole, i will throw in the back of the truck and put the carcuss in my burn pit. (i was rumored that if the birds and other critters eat on a manged carcuss they can get it and blah, blah the circle of life, mange is spread).

if its a healthy yote, i will cut the back straps out, boil in hot water for about 15 mins season salt, bar BQ sauce and smoke them. great for lunch meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom