Vehicle Searches at a College Campus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you provide documentation for this position??

I'd sure like to read the law that supports your statements!!

It's called Arrogant Domain. It's their domain and they're arrogant. It's perfectly legal until somone spends a metric ton of money to have it legally decreed illegal. :)

Seriously, keep in mind that they will likely be declared legit if certain restrictions in the search policy are spelled out that match restrictions listed in various court rulings. For all we know, the policy follows generally accepted 4th Amendment guidelines.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"First they started random searches of cars at Langston. But I didn't object because I don't ever go to Langston and besides they've had some problems there. Then they started searching cars at other Universities but I kept quiet because most people had no problem with it. Now they are stopping me to search my car when I go to WalMart and there is nothing I can do about it."

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bingo, think of it as a term that you must accept in order to be on the property

The Self Defense Act allows for firearms secured in vehicles on public college campuses if the vehicle is operated by a concealed permit holder. The Langston searches probably are in conflict with the SDA.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's called Arrogant Domain. It's their domain and they're arrogant. It's perfectly legal until somone spends a metric ton of money to have it legally decreed illegal. :)

Seriously, keep in mind that they will likely be declared legit if certain restrictions in the search policy are spelled out that match restrictions listed in various court rulings. For all we know, the policy follows generally accepted 4th Amendment guidelines.

They may be getting away with it, but that doesn't make it legal.

The Self Defense Act allows for firearms secured in vehicles on public college campuses if the vehicle is operated by a concealed permit holder. The Langston searches probably are in conflict with the SDA.

And that is where I was going with my question.

Of course, there is always the possibility that the sign is a bluff too??

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confused, wouldn't you have to inform the officer that you are a license holder and there is a firearm in the car and that would be the end of it? If there is someone that is not a law enforcement officer asking to search my car regardless of any sign there is legal authority that would support that unless I am greatly misunderstanding the situation.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess if they denied you entry after you self identified...but on it's face, the search of a vehicle prior to entry isn't a violation of the SDA.

I'm just more conditioned to vehicle searches. Working for years at places that search you going in, and going out will do that. I can see how some could argue that it's a slippery slope though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom