Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home Standby Generator - Kohler or Generac?

I am considering buying a backup Generator for my home. I have narrowed down to Kohler20RESAL and Generac 5887 (Both in the 20KW size which will run on Natural Gas}. Any thoughts , or experience, with either brand?

Thanx for your input ........

Default Re: Home Standby Generator - Kohler or Generac?

The Kohler transfer switches that we have at work suck. They are always malfunctioning. I know that's not the generator itself, but you will need a transfer switch too.
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

I think that alot of folks in Florida have the Generacs. Hurricaine season give's them a work out.

One advantage for the Generac is that Home Depot sells and installs them. Which means they "stand behind" them.

Dave
    Common Sense is the Least Common of all Man's Senses.

my feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...ghlight=ratski

Quote Originally Posted by pinkhamr View Post
    I am considering buying a backup Generator for my home. I have narrowed down to Kohler20RESAL and Generac 5887 (Both in the 20KW size which will run on Natural Gas}. Any thoughts , or experience, with either brand?

Thanx for your input ........
    If there is any way possible go dual fuel, LPG & Nat Gas.
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates.
    “The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”― Theodore Roosevelt
    My feedback.

I have installed several Generacs. Only one that I know of has ever had a problem and they were quick to get a service person out to fix it. No experience with Kohlers though.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolph Hitler, 1935

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...ectrician-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by okietool View Post
    If there is any way possible go dual fuel, LPG & Nat Gas.
    Most of the smaller Generac 6KW and to about 16 KW (at least they did when I looked into them a year or two ago) were as easy to convert as flipping a switch on the carb. If that is still true I would guess that it could be plumbed with a bypass valve so you could tap in a LPG inlet as long as you could get it to meet code. If you could get away with that then it could be switched over in a few min.
    Feedback Thread

It always seems like I'm trying to contain an outbreak and your taking the monkey to the airport.

To Whom lt May Concern:
    This will be my last letter.
    We have grown apart
    over these last six weeks.
    l now have
    two loves in my life
    big-city livin' and
    a voodoo woman named Phyllis.
    Ciao, Roberto.

Keep in mind that with generac, there is currently about a 1-2 month back order. I have sold several this year, and each has a delivery date of sometime in March. Purchases were made in January. But of the two, I would go generac. Are you looking at a air cooled or water cooled? Some models come with the transfer switch and breaker box, some do not.
    Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?18155-1shott

From my cold dead hands....

I am looking at this model, with the transfer switch ....... Air Cooled and will be plumbed into my Natural Gas Line ...... They have two of them left right now ...... They have priced this one to me for $4,500 (shipped) ...... and 2% off for paying with a Bank Check ..... $4,410 quoted price ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:BOCOR:US:1123

The install will run around $1,500 ........ Gas and Electric hookup .......
    Last edited by pinkhamr; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added info

hi, the HVAC company i work for installs generacs. i dont know about them personally, but the guy who does said we pick them up same day or order from factory and get them with in a week. 20kw's are the 100a ones that do houses. as far as the installs, depends on our install crews, how many jobs they have lined up.
    I'm not trying to promote my company or anything, but these have to be great generators for us to put them in the big wigs of Tulsa houses. also we don't sale low end units for any job.

as the dual fuel, he said the under 20k units have the option. some unhook a hose and hook it up to other spot. over 20kw, have o order parts and stuff.

We also travel

I dont want to say to much about them since like I said, i don't know personally.

Just remember that if there is a tornado, they will probably shut off the natty gas. I guess you could make your own with natty light. LOL Seriously the dual fuel versions are something to consider.
    If guns cause crime, the ALL mine are defective!

Something to ponder. Home depot sells the same setup for 4529 plus tax and you could get 10 percent off easy enough I think. The best part would be of there was a problem with it you would have a local store you could just return it to. Out out of curiosity. Why do you want such a big genset?
    Feedback Thread

It always seems like I'm trying to contain an outbreak and your taking the monkey to the airport.

To Whom lt May Concern:
    This will be my last letter.
    We have grown apart
    over these last six weeks.
    l now have
    two loves in my life
    big-city livin' and
    a voodoo woman named Phyllis.
    Ciao, Roberto.

We have a 20 KW Generac that is right at 4 years old, and has been reliable since we bought it. It's water cooled, runs on natural gas, and can be converted to propane with a simple swapping out of a jet. We do not have a propane tank or cross-over valve setup yet, but it is on the wish list.

Maintenance is as simple as maintaining a small car engine. Ours has about 75 hours of run time(it runs 12 minuets a week for an automatic test) and has kept us up and running many times, too.

I highly recomment having a back-up generator, and can vouch for the Generac.
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."

Quote Originally Posted by pinkhamr View Post
    I am looking at this model, with the transfer switch ....... Air Cooled and will be plumbed into my Natural Gas Line ...... They have two of them left right now ...... They have priced this one to me for $4,500 (shipped) ...... and 2% off for paying with a Bank Check ..... $4,410 quoted price ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:BOCOR:US:1123

The install will run around $1,500 ........ Gas and Electric hookup .......
    IF they have them in stock ready to ship, current production, then thats not to bad. I order direct from Generac, and there is a current wait time of up to 2 months, due to production demands from the hurricans and storms of last year.
    Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?18155-1shott

From my cold dead hands....

Standby generators are selling like guns.

What does that tell you about the mood of the American people?

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."

Thanx for all of your inputs - They are greatly appreciated. Looks like a different location for the Generator drops the install down to about $650 ..... Decided to go with the Generac 5875 20KW (77AMP on NG) and includes at 200 AMP RTS (Service Rated) Auto Transfer Switch. Total cost is $4,504 delivered and delivery within 10 days. May be an extra $40 for a lift gate truck to deliver it. I will be ready for this Spring .....