Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are those itty bitty black flying bugs in my apartment???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My tiny (300 sq ft) basement apartment is infested with itty bitty black flying bugs! They are very small; the largest of them is about 1/10 to 1/15 the size of a normal house fly, the smallest is only slighlty bigger than a gnat. They hover around any light source (my 115 watt reading lamp when I'm reading, my computer screen when I'm online), and of course they fly past my nose, or zip around my head whenever possible. While I'm away, they congregate on the glass panes of my front door, drawing heat, no doubt, from the glass as the sun warms it. When I come home, the routinue never varies. After I shut the front door, I raise the mini blind and kill as many of them as I can. Then I turn on a reading light and swat more of them as they are drawn to the light. After the initial homecoming bloodbath, I then have to get up periodically throughout the evening to swat the stray 5, 10, or 15 or more of them that hover around me and my reading lamp. I kill 40-50 of these things EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!!!!!! This has been going on for 2 or 3 weeeks, and I am afraid if I don't spend the first 10-15 minutes of EVERY SINGLE WORKDAY NIGHT killing 30-40 of these little pests they'll be so thick in here I couldn't see across the room, and that's not even counting the ones I'll kill during the course of the evening. Even as I type this, I've plucked 5 or 6 of them out of the air between me and the computer screen!!!!!!!!!!
    I know that the mild winter weather we've had has something to do with this infestation (it simply hasn't been cold enough long enough to kill the bugs). But I am getting tired of swatting these damn things every single night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does ANYONE know what these things are; or, more importantly, how they can be eradicated? Again, this is a tiny studio apartment, so poision would likely linger too long (I have sealed the one window in the place with plastic to keep the drafts out, so my apartment is relatively air tight), and I'd rather not poison myself. Any such remedy would have to be either rather mild, or very short-lived (or very fast-acting without lingering). But did I mention that this happens EVERY SINGLE NIGHT?????????? I AM ABOUT AT MY WIT'S END--CAN ANYONE HELP??????????????

Default Re: What are those itty bitty black flying bugs in my apartment???

napalm sticks to bugs...
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

A friend of mine had those once in his apartment. The cause ended up being a sack of rotten potatoes. Got any rotten food around?

My daughter had those in her room as well. Drove me nuts until I spotted the old banana peel in her trash.

They are fruit flies. Check your trash can for peels or your fruit bowl.
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?59060MY Feedback

I say we all sit around in a circle, get high as kites and sing Kumbayah! Why all the hate haters? Come on in, sit a spell, kick your shoes off, fall apart in my back yard.

"Honey Badger Don't Care!"

lham

They gotta have sumething to eat & lay their eggs in.

Quote Originally Posted by oufan24 View Post
    A friend of mine had those once in his apartment. The cause ended up being a sack of rotten potatoes. Got any rotten food around?
    There is very little food in my apartment at any time. Cereal for breakfast, almost all other meals eaten out (I'm a rather hopeless--or is that helpless--cook). The trash probably could stand to be taken out, though....BTW, these things are bigger than the little bugs that fly around bananas and such. The little ones I described in my original posts are no doubt newly-hatched, the bigger ones are certainly bigger than what I've heard called "friut flies." Whatever they are, they reproduce quickly. Perhaps they are "May Flies"? I don't really know what those things look like, either.

sounds like they might be sewer gnats. have you or anyone else in your building had some drain problems?

try some bleach in all of the drains.

Do you dip snuff? If so, make sure you don't have any spit cups sitting around. They will lay eggs in them.
    -OU GRAD

NRA LIFE MEMBER **ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ**
    OK SDA INSTRUCTOR
    FEEDBACK: http://www.okshooters.com/forums/sho...ht=shooterdave

Quote Originally Posted by TwoForFlinching View Post
    I ******* love this thread

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFinger View Post
    sounds like they might be sewer gnats. have you or anyone else in your building had some drain problems?

try some bleach in all of the drains.
    That could be it! I share the basement with a neighbor who recently did have sewer/drain problems in his apartment (this house was built between 1914 and 1916, so there is almost always something wrong with the drains/sewer). I'll try the bleach idea--thank you, so much!! Anyone else have a guess? (And "no" on the spit cup.) If it helps, whatever they are, the ones I don't kill with the fly swatter happily incinerate themselves in my reading lamp. They die there by the dozens. I'll try to post a pic of the "bodies".

This is as good of a pic as I can get of the little buggers. These have fried themselves in the globe of my floor lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
    napalm sticks to bugs...
    Nothing like the smell of napalm and burning bug flesh first thing in the morning!!
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Blog Entries

You can always just throw a loop on them and tye them to hooks like I do. fish love em'.
    Just Stan[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COL
    Any day hunting or fishing is a day in heaven!
    If there are no dogs in heaven... not sure I want to go.

Spies sent by OBAMA!
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin 1775

Now we're getting to the helpful part of the evening....sigh.