Weather Radios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are several apps for Android as well.
My question is, what happens if the electricity goes out and or the cell tower(s) get taken out?

GForce89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is an app for you iphone, if you have one. It will alert you to all of the warnings, high wind, fire, snow, ice, thunderstorms and tornados. You can turn off all of the warnings except the tornado warnings, I think. It will show radar and where the storm is and which direction it is coming from. To me it is better than listening to the mostly overreacting news crews.

What is the app called? It would be a good start since i always have my phone near me.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use wx alert USA, it cost 10 bucks but you can fine tune it a lot more than other ones I looked at. That way the thing is not going off for every little thing. Worked perfect during the storms the other day. It also has NOAA radar and all the weather forecasting and information needed, including a weather radio. Great app, I would recommend it to everyone with an iPhone.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This caused me to go on a search of weather radio apps. Found one called NOAA Free. No idea if it's worth a darn or not but I'll check it out.

Found another one called Weather TAP zoom.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listen to Ham during storms, spotters will give exact location on storm and conditions. This info will be minuets before it is broadcast or put out as a warning. Won't help when sleeping but good info while you are awake.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A scanner is best for 'right now' happenings in the Ponca City area. Our local ham radio club members work as storm spotters coordinating with the emergency services director at the police department. Weather alerts are best from a weather radio with S.A.M.E. capabilities. I personally use the Oregon Scientific portable because I can carry it with me when I leave home.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem we have with AT&T is while you are watching the storm, it keeps cutting off, and stops updating. That leaves you in the dark in the most inopportune times. That is why I have weather radios set up with all of my friends and relatives.
And yes, I have scanners that listen to the ham radio frequencies and emergency management frequencies.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1871
For the ham frequencies.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a weather radio at night for alerts, but switch to a regular old battery am/fm radio for the shelter...tuned to the TV weather/spotter info that's simulcast on the radio stations. When I'm in the hole, I want specific location info, and that's something our TV weather guessers actually do pretty well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom