AR Optic Choices ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for a red dot optic for my AR I recently finished up.

What are some of the pro's/Cons of the different styles like the eotec vs a tube like an aimpoint. This is really intended for 100 yards or less if that helps. I'm completely new to AR's so any help is appreciated.

I'm leaning towards a tube and most likely one of the ones from Vortex or primary arms. I just don't have $ 500 to drop on an aimpoint.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aimpoint battery life stomps the EOTech. I like the Aimpoint better, I feel the EOTech blocks too much of my field of vision for some reason.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There really isn't a quality optic out there for a "cheap" price that utilizes the Eotech reticle. However, the Primary Arms and Vortex optics that copy the aimpoint design are great optics. They are not as rugged, or have as long of a battery life, but they'll get the job done. I own a Primary Arms micro, a vortex sparc, and an aimpoint T1. I've also had 3 Eotech's.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the kind of 1st hand experience I was hoping for jakerz. What are your thoughts on the sparc vs the primary micro ? Do they seem to hold a zero after tossing around?

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The primary arms M3 clone is pretty awesome. I also own one of the PA micro dots. It is what I bought first to see If I like red dots. I own 3 aimpoints now. If you are on a budget, the primary arms scopes cant be beat. The are very rugged, work in the rain, the mud and the snow. Ive dropped them, scraped them on the wall, shot them on 12G, .308, 7.62 X 39, and .223. They hold zero well too! They are not Aimpoints, but they are a GREAT value for the money. You will not be unhappy with them.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you look around you can find decent optics for pretty cheap.

Ok so here is to answersome of your questions.
I have used the vortex strikefire with good success. Although it was really not bright enough to be used in the day even at its brightest setting. I have also had three of the IJK eotech clones. I was not unhappy with them but i just never warmed up to them. The reticle was blurred at the edges and just didnt work well with my eyes. Seemed to take up alot airspace in my forward vision as well.
I have settled on my old school aimpoint 9000scx2. I found it very very resonably priced and its so simple. If I was you i would look very close at the primary arms and vortex sparc.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aimpoint battery life stomps the EOTech. I like the Aimpoint better, I feel the EOTech blocks too much of my field of vision for some reason.

This is true.

Check out equipment exchanges (classifieds) of some national forums geared more torwards mil. and tactical guys and you'll find some good deals on eotechs and aimpoints. Forums such as ar15.com, m4carbine.net, lightfighter, snipershide, calguns, ect ect.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the kind of 1st hand experience I was hoping for jakerz. What are your thoughts on the sparc vs the primary micro ? Do they seem to hold a zero after tossing around?

The Sparc is a good optic. But I think you would be just as happy with the PA micro dot. They have both served me well, and the PA is half the price. That being said, I love my Aimpoint T1. I've been through a lot of optics, and this one is by far my favorite.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer my EOTech on my AR when I'm using a suppressor. It's much easier to shoot with both eyes open while using a suppressor. The blowback gasses really affect me when I try to shoot with just one eye open.

Latest posts

Top Bottom