1911 drop-in trigger kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46and2

Just curious if anyone has done a drop-in trigger kit for a 1911. My dad is looking to have a new trigger put in and the pull lightened to 4 lbs on his Remington R1, and have his RIA lightened to 4 lbs. Both of them feel about 5.5-6 lbs to me. He has taken different guns to 2 different shops around town. Both, while doing quality work, have been somewhat slow and uncommunicative, to the point of not even calling when the work was done. So since I just installed a DCAEK in my M&P with great luck, I thought I'd look at the drop-in kits for the 1911. So far the Cylinder & Slide kit seems to come up most in searched, but I am worried about people saying they have had to do some amount of fitting work. If there are any other good kits out there, I am all ears. I suggested Franson to him, but he has a pretty good sized wait list and my dad is ready to do it now. Thanks for any suggestions.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Mikey posted, Cylinder & Slide has drop in kits. it should work fine if your pin locations are in spec, but even then, it's not going to be as good as a hand fitted set of quality parts.

46and2

As Mikey posted, Cylinder & Slide has drop in kits. it should work fine if your pin locations are in spec, but even then, it's not going to be as good as a hand fitted set of quality parts.

That's a good point. There's a decent chance an RIA (or any other) isn't drilled exactly like the original spec.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably wants a cleaner, crisper pull. Lots of folks do and it does have it's benefits.

Another reason is to delete MIM parts that may or may not hold up under sustained use.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of why I bought my own tools to do trigger work and other work on 1911's. As others stated, C & S does have good drop-in kits; as does Nowlin, Wilson and other. I wish I had more to do smith work. Have you thought of sending a PM to Traxxis? He would probably jump at the chance to do a trigger job on your Ruger.

46and2

This is a perfect example of why I bought my own tools to do trigger work and other work on 1911's. As others stated, C & S does have good drop-in kits; as does Nowlin, Wilson and other. I wish I had more to do smith work. Have you thought of sending a PM to Traxxis? He would probably jump at the chance to do a trigger job on your Ruger.

I have not, I will have to read up on his work. I would love to buy the tools and do it myself that way, but I just don't want to screw it up badly. I figure if I swap parts the worst that will happen is it doesn't work and I put it back to stock.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built thousands of action kits when I worked for a noted small high-end 1911 manufacturer. The kits were built up, one at a time, using a spec frame and carefully selected high end parts. Kits were checked for safety and advertised function before careful packaging.

Usually the kits dropped into the customer's gun at 3 1/2 t0 4 1/4# with no fuss. Still, if the kit were installed by a customer, in a non-spec frame, the results might not be good. In fact, a non-spec frame could make a "good" kit into one that was unsafe in that particular gun. If the frame web between the mag well and the area the sear spring sits is out of spec, bad things can happen. If the catch point in the frame for the sear spring is in the wrong place, bad things happen. If the disconnect hole in the frame is mislocated/out of spec bad things happen.

You are best to have someone with smiting skills install and check the kit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom