Ammo Storage reminder..don't for get the Dessicant!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind everyone who is storing a lot of ammo to be sure they have a good dessicant / moisture remover in the contaner and check it regularly to see if it needs changing.

I had several hundred dollars worth of ammo stored in what I thought was a good sealed plastic container. The ammo had been in there about 3 months.. under the bed... until I finally got off my lazy butt this morning and made room in my safe for it all. It had been stored with one of those closet type dessicant containers that can hold approx. 2 cups of water. Imagine my surprise when I found it was over half full!!!! I have central air & heat, the house doesn't seem to be too humid... but even in that sealed container... the dessicant was able to draw out well over a cup of moisture during the last few months.

So, if you are storing any ammo long term for a SHTF situation... I suggest you make sure you have some good dessicant in with your ammo and check it every few months.

Note- I know there is a sticky about ammo storage. In my case, for some reason there seemed to be a excessive amount of moisture / humidity that I can't account for. Possibly not enough air circulation under the bed. But since it was a sealed plastic container, I don't see how that much moisture could have gotten inside the container in just 3 months.

Last edited:

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope that you aren't using DampRid, it's a corrosive.
From the FAQ on the website:
“Avoid metal and leather” appears on the container. What is the danger?
DampRid is a salt product. If the absorbed moisture comes in contact with metal for a long period of time, the metal will corrode. Similarly, the product can absorb the moisture in leather, leaving it hard and wrinkled.
Stick with silica gel dessicant.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope that you aren't using DampRid, it's a corrosive.
From the FAQ on the website:
“Avoid metal and leather” appears on the container. What is the danger?
DampRid is a salt product. If the absorbed moisture comes in contact with metal for a long period of time, the metal will corrode. Similarly, the product can absorb the moisture in leather, leaving it hard and wrinkled.
Stick with silica gel dessicant.

I'm using a AirBoss Closet Dehumidifier canister... a plastic cup with a membrane over the top and filled with a dessicant... under $4 at Walmart in the isle with mothballs. It has a 350 ml fluid capacity.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not familar with that brand, but if the contents say calcium chloride then it's the same thing. Usually the ones that deposit water in a cup are calcium chloride.

I'm using a AirBoss Closet Dehumidifier canister... a plastic cup with a membrane over the top and filled with a dessicant... under $4 at Walmart in the isle with mothballs. It has a 350 ml fluid capacity.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not familar with that brand, but if the contents say calcium chloride then it's the same thing. Usually the ones that deposit water in a cup are calcium chloride.

I finally found the small print... calcium chloride.. but there is a moisture permeable liner on top that should prevent any of it from escaping so long as it isn't ruptured or turned over. I've been using them for some time.. and havent noticed any rust on my magazines or guns.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the vacuum pack freezer bags? I've heard of doing 50-100rds per bag, you would have to get the vacuum sealer machine though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom