Help with door knob that won't turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need tips and tricks in getting a door knob assembly to manually activate. Yesterday, our door knob all of a sudden stopped working. It's stuck like it's in the locked position, even though it's not. While locked, it doesn't move much at all, as it should, but unlocked, it'll turn slightly more than when it's locked. I've removed the door knob and tried to manually move the [whatever the latch is called that moves in and out and sticks inside the strike plate], but it won't budge.

Any tips?

We've been planning on replacing the door knobs and locks for some time and this was the excuse to finally do it, and I have all knew door knobs, but I can't remove the inner assembly because of this problem. Not to mention the annoyance of not being able to go in my backyard unless we go through the gate now.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you remove the latch bolt out of the door? Usually, you take both knobs off, then loosen some screws in the edge of the door (strike plate) and pull it right out.

If the latch itself won't retract/extend, it is more than likely just bound up. Removing it and resetting it might help, especially if it is a 'twist adjusted backset' type.

rehpot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A piece must have broken off and got wedge in there. Sounds like you've been trying for awhile, man thats frustrating. Hopefully someone here will come up with something soon. Sorry I'm no help.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I was a card carrying member of the Oklahoma locksmith association once upon a time. Not seeing the door, this is just speculation.. but if I understand you right.. your bolt is stuck in the door facing and you cant retract it enough to open the door... even after you removed the door knob and tried to work the bolt manually.

The locking bolt may be in a bind due to the door sagging.

1. Your house may have settled slightly... even if your house is on a concrete slab. Look all around your door... does it have a even space between the door & the frame all the way around? Or is the door binding against the door frame some where? If the spacing isn't even, then the bolt may be in a bind against the striker plate. You might try [[[gently]]] lifting up or pressing down on the knob as you turn it. Or if you see where the door may be binding... try slipping in a wide flat object near the binding point and [[[gently]]] lifting so as not to damage your wood or metal door & frame.

Or,

2. You may have had some screws in the door hinge loosen up with time & use, and that is causing a bind on the bolt. Or the striker plate screws may have come loose, or the plate on the edge of the door may be loose and putting a bind on the bolt. Try taking a screw driver and gently tightening up all the screws that you can get too.

3. Only use Silicone or graphite to lubricate your locks... not WD-40 or any oily stuff as they will attract dirt. With your knob off, you might spray some silicone into the bolt area using the long red tube in order to get the spray down into the hard to get to places. Also, with the knob off, you can insert a long screw driver into the bolt and try to retract it as you lift up or press down on the door.

Good luck.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I got it. I could get the knobs off without a problem and the door would move slightly into the weather stripping when pushed, so I know it wasn't the house settling and putting pressure on the latch.

I finally found this video and the problem I had starts at 4:45 (if the video doesn't automatically start there) and was resolved using a paper clip and that super secret hidden button he points out:

If you're curious.

And if you're double curious, the new knob and deadbolt look and work fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom