Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Default 2012 Rut Reports

I know this is very early to start a thread like this, but a lot of people are predicting a much earlier rut this year. I have seen new scrapes being made but no other activity here in east central oklahoma. Please post what area of the state you are from and any signs you are seeing including scrapes, chasing does, tarsal gland darkening, neck swelling, etc. when you start seeing it. Thanks!

Default Re: 2012 Rut Reports

I've seen a decent amount of scrapes the past weekend. Found one line with about 8 in a row, under every tree branch. Out driving bout sunset and saw a 6 point just birddoggin the hell out of a doe. Had I not known any better, I'd say he was right in the middle of the rut. He didn't even pay attention to my truck 50 yards away, he was focused on her and wouldn't let her take a step hardly. I'd call these isolated incidents, I have not seen any other evidence to say it has kicked off yet. Still seeing bachelor groups on camera, but less and less.
    I'd like a chance to shoot at an educated man once in my life.

Enthusiast

x2 on bach groups western ok.

Quote Originally Posted by botldpony View Post
    x2 on bach groups western ok.
    x3...........
    "A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody". Thomas Paine

Still seeing bucks running together (eastern OK county).

Kay county bucks still in groups.
    The peak is usually the second week in November, after the rutting moon.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

bachelor groups here in n.w. okla,i often wondered who was the boss over feed bucks or does found out yesterday it is bucks,there was does and bucks eating yesterday and if a doe was feeding where a buck wanted to feed he would run her off,they all put quite a show on yeasterday evening does were fighting. bucks pushing does around,bucks sparring,coons fighting all of them staying clear of th two porcipines.me drinking a coke and eating a payday watching them.

Have not seen any bachelor groups since the first few days of the season here in eastern Oklahoma. Have seen several scrapes and rubs since opening day.

I've got 2 small deer locked up on camera at night. Not sure if there were fighting or just telling secrets. 1.5 hours east of okc.

Still seeing bucks together in Canadian County.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Kay county bucks still in groups.
    The peak is usually the second week in November, after the rutting moon.
    The rutting moon will be on Oct. 29th this year and from what I've read this means an earlier than normal rut is likely. The peak should be around the first week in november instead of the second this year if the predictions are right. Assuming this is correct, the chasing should be starting within a little over a week. I however don't know how much I believe these predictions.

i am thinking the last 5days of ML season going to be awesome if the weather will be cooler,i think the big boys will be on there feet looking for the ladies,

Quote Originally Posted by ImaBBaller View Post
    The rutting moon will be on Oct. 29th this year and from what I've read this means an earlier than normal rut is likely. The peak should be around the first week in november instead of the second this year if the predictions are right. Assuming this is correct, the chasing should be starting within a little over a week. I however don't know how much I believe these predictions.
    i think its all about the moon phase and it will be a little earlier than past years. Chase should be around 26th ish, i think.
    2013 sucked but its over. 2014 might suck but it might not.

i read a book a few years ago written by a professional hunter (whatever that is) that has hunted in many states. The one factor that he said determined when the bucks were in the rut was the rutting moon. There was something else about states that were far north and far south that I can't remember, but the weather did play a part.
    Firearms On Target
    Firearm Instruction for Beginning Handgun and Shotgun Shooters
    w - 918-627-2006
    c - 918-857-5106
    f - 918-627-4945
    P.O. Box 690681
    Tulsa, OK 74169-0681
    NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    National Skeet Shooting Association Level 1 Instructor
    Concealed Carry Instructor
    Insured

dan@firearmsontarget.com

www.firearmsontarget.com

the moon has everything to do with the rut timing,but if it is hot during the day expect most rut activeity to be at night time and more so for older big bucks,so pray for cold weather from oct 28 to nov 4 the days i hope to be in a tree stand