Military vs Civilian Prison....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and I were on the way home from baseball practice and we heard that some Seal Team Six members were in a bit of hot water for releasing some sensitive info to a video game company that was developing a new game.

Mynboy asked what the difference is between a military prison and a civilian prison. I really don't know, I told him. I said I thought that for similar crimes when comparing the two types of prison stays that the military system is much more strict on the day to day activities of the military prisoner compared to the civy thug off the street.

Can someone give some insight as to the differences if there are any for, I guess, similar types of crimes. My 9 year old boy is fascinated with the military and asks lots of questions I can't answer. Thanks for the help.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dunno, i took care of guys in the ships brig who were on bread and water, that sucked for them, most didnt make it past day 2. Thats an archaic punishment, btw, but its voluntary.

Also took care of a few in Norfolks brig, looked cushy to me.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch " harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay" you get a kock meat sandwich for dinner with extra mayo!

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the military, they really can give you bread and water. We toured one when I got in the Marines, they had a SgtMaj in who stole from supply dump he was in charge of. He was in his underwear, the cell was like a drain with a drain in the middle. Thats where he did his number 1&2. No bed, no pillow and no mattress. Now this may have all been for show, but I never forgot it. BTW He threw 26yrs of service away, got busted down to a Pvt, lose of retirement DisHon discharge and 5yrs in jail.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth Ks when Lt Calley was held at the prison for army and Navy prisoners. THe federal pen is a different facility.

I drive past the fed prison every day on my way to work. the military prison was hell as it should be

We toured the country club fed pen. Amazing. They had world class gyms, running tracks, -
And g

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oh it aint no joke, the bread n water guys got stripped to their skivvys, no matress, steel rack. The cell was about 4x8, i think. A stainless crapper, stainless sink. They had a bible and a navy guide lines book or something. 2 loaves of bread, 1 white, 1 wheat, a cup for drinking. Isolation.

I visited them 3 times a day, weighed them, quick exam, and asked them if they wanted to request a reg diet. On our ship it was 3 days bread n water or opt for more days in confinement usually 7+ with lots of menial labor. Lots of cleaning, lots of PT, but at least ya gotta eat and had some clothes.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen (observed) both. A stockade is military in every way. Clean, regimental, dictatorial, squared away, every deed/act accounted for. If I had a choice I'd rather be in a stockade than a prison or especially a jail.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth Ks when Lt Calley was held at the prison for army and Navy prisoners. THe federal pen is a different facility.

I drive past the fed prison every day on my way to work. the military prison was hell as it should be

We toured the country club fed pen. Amazing. They had world class gyms, running tracks, -
And g

Never was inside the military penn at Leavenworth, but just the outside looked like it was Civil War era. Young USAF cop who transports prisoners to KS said they built a new one, but the old one is still standing with a barbed wire fence surrounding it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom