Kimber and rust :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I found out the hard way that what do you know, Kimber's really do rust. I have a stainless Custom II that I keep in a lock box with several gel packets to absorb moisture. I got her out today to switch to the new grips I bought and found moderate rusting and several small instances of pitting under the hogue grips. It wasn't anything a wire brush wasn't able to get rid of but it really irritates me that it was there after all the preventative measures I do.
I have had the gun for about 4 months and am meticulous in my cleaning habits. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any advice to give about keeping this from happening again? I keep the barrel well lubed so it doesn't rust but I don't know how that would work under a set of grips.

Oh and first post!! go me!! :)

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any stainless gun will rust. My guess is you missed a spot when oiling or excess moisture got in and your packets weren't working or couldn't keep up with the amount of moisture. High humidity + bad "dry" packs + time = rust, stainless or not. It just takes longer for SS to oxidize.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand about metals is that stainless steels that will rust have more carbon steel in them for strength. A stainless steel that wouldn't rust would be too soft and wear to quickly to use in a firearm.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any stainless gun will rust. My guess is you missed a spot when oiling or excess moisture got in and your packets weren't working or couldn't keep up with the amount of moisture. High humidity + bad "dry" packs + time = rust, stainless or not. It just takes longer for SS to oxidize.

It really depends on the Quality of Stainless they use. The rusting is coming from the High Carbon content of the material. 316 Stainless and or higher will not rust easily. The reason for using High Carbon metal on certain parts is to increase the strength of the material. Stainless is a very soft metal and by its self will not hold up to the stresses of certain functions without being hardened with Carbon.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I found out the hard way that what do you know, Kimber's really do rust. I have a stainless Custom II that I keep in a lock box with several gel packets to absorb moisture. I got her out today to switch to the new grips I bought and found moderate rusting and several small instances of pitting under the hogue grips. It wasn't anything a wire brush wasn't able to get rid of but it really irritates me that it was there after all the preventative measures I do.
I have had the gun for about 4 months and am meticulous in my cleaning habits. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any advice to give about keeping this from happening again? I keep the barrel well lubed so it doesn't rust but I don't know how that would work under a set of grips.

Oh and first post!! go me!! :)
That's concerning since you took precautions and our weather has been more dry than normal. How bad is it going to be in a wet rainy season/year?

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how you feel man. I picked up a blued Ultra Carry II this summer at a pretty good price. Carried it for a couple days in a leather holster till I could find better or have a kydex made. Pulled out to place on the night stand and there it was on the slide. Made me a bit mad as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom