Antler Traps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bout time for the horns to start falling off, so I am going to attempt to make some antler traps this weekend to stick out at the ranch. Saw a herd of 8 bucks the other day and most all were still sporting both sides. Two of them were missing one side, but don't know if they already dropped or they lost them earlier in the year. Buddy found a nice big shed the other day while we were out walking a property, first fresh one I have seen from this year. Has anyone built any traps that were successful? Found a couple of different ones online.

[Broken External Image]

I get the feeling a couple of extras were thrown in here for some reason, or it is a really effective device.
forums.bowsite.com_tf_pics_00small59715563.JPG

discussions_texasbowhunter_com_forums_attachment_php_d01cdb4cbb7c2ab68c6e84482ff61c94._.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never made one, but would hesitate to use anything that is too heavy of a gauge. Really just want a little pressure without the chance of tangling the antler and the deer. I like the one in the second pic for that reason, should be small enough holes to prevent a tangle and easily broken should a buck manage a tangle.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do black panthers, bigfoot, red wolves and antler traps have in common?

they all like corn.

the one with the wire running around is what a friend of mine does in kansas...works for him. he says the holes are big enough that they can get down towards the corn a little better and the heavier gauge helps make the setup a bit more solid....maybe easier to break loose with a solid area? just use good ol bailing wire around the fenceing to the post.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As many deer as we have hanging around our house, I should build one similar to the one in the first pic. I find a shed or two around the fence every year where they jump over to go to my wife's deer buffet.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found one that wasn't ready to drop his antlers yet. I am going to be sore for a few days but I will be ok. I will wait a couple weeks and give it another try.

I was in my stand when this dandy 9 point came along. I readied my rope and gave it a toss down and landed it on the bucks head gear. Oh my!!! The fight was on. As I was hanging from my safety harnessI knew he wasn't ready to drop his antlers. As I was hanging in my safety harness I fought to tie the rope to tree. I then struggled to climb back into the stand so I could climb down. Once on the ground, I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me. As I approached the buck he stood up kicking at me with his front legs. The rope worked to his advantage as he pulled it tight and it provided balance. I finally wrestled him to the ground amid all the kicks. I cut the rope loose and sent him on his way.

I think it will be a couple more weeks before the bucks start dropping antlers. I will give it another go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom