Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ammunition: Supply and Demand

With ammunition shortages in gun shops and retail establishments, I began to wonder how the manufacturers were responding to the escalating demand.

From browsing the internet I saw that Winchester’s website states they are operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in an attempt to meet the demand.

According to Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, Remington had to add a fourth shift to begin operating 24-7. Russo stated, “It’s a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business.”

Federal Premium’s website also states they are working “7 days a week” to meet the demand.

NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak said the amount of ammunition purchased by Americans has increased from 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year to 9 billion. (Now folks that a bunch of bullets).

The question in my mind would be if people are firing that ammo to become better marksmen for self-defense purposes, or are they hoarding the ammo in fear of government legislation that would limit ammunition purchases in the future. My guess would be mostly the latter, and that would put more ammo in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Many of those in my shooting and reloading circle seem to think that this will pass and things will get back to normal in the near future. We can only hope.

It the meantime we must write our representatives and vote.
    "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
    -- Rush Limbaugh

Default Re: Ammunition: Supply and Demand

My opinion is there are probably three groups, those who are hoarding to hoard, and their are those who are hoarding to make sure they have enough to shoot this coming year, then those like me who aren't going to go spend thousands of dollars on ammo just because it's there now, but hope some is available when I need to resupply. It's starting to take its toll on me, I buy ammo and reloading components because I like to shoot in local matches, but all this crap is taking the fun out of it and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the frustration.

I'm there with you street rat. It's becoming a hassle to shop to find good prices while quantities remain in stock. I don't think the shortages are near as bad as they were. SGAmmo has had a lot of ammo this past week, as have other distributors. I've stopped searching the local stores because it seems as those who have no need to work are able to clean them out. I'll pay the shipping on ammo if it saves on sales tax anyway. Reloading supplies I try to buy locally to save on Hazmat fees, but I may just start ordering "big" to combine fees to save on charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Rat View Post
    My opinion is there are probably three groups, those who are hoarding to hoard, and their are those who are hoarding to make sure they have enough to shoot this coming year, then those like me who aren't going to go spend thousands of dollars on ammo just because it's there now, but hope some is available when I need to resupply. It's starting to take its toll on me, I buy ammo and reloading components because I like to shoot in local matches, but all this crap is taking the fun out of it and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the frustration.
    I would add a couple more more groups --- those who have just started shooting with a newly purchased firearm, or had a firearm they occasionally (almost never) shot and just bought a box of shells to shoot it, and would buy another box the next time they though about practicing and feel they need to stock up also.

For every new firearm sold to a new purchaser, they will stock up. For used, some are a new caliber for the purchaser and the seller kept his ammo for another firearm he owned, they will stock up also.

Obama is the greatest gun salesman ever.
    Last edited by p238shooter; 02-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.

I ordered a case of Federal .223 right after the election in November and it backordered. The backorder release date keeps getting bumped. The current ETA is now 7/23/13. I feel for the folks that shoot matches that go through lots of ammo. It has to be frustrating to shoot ammo that is a dollar a round. I'm glad I reload pistol and had stocked up on components just before everything got crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by p238shooter View Post
    I would add one more group --- those who have just started shooting and feel they need to stock up also.
    Yes. This is something that should not be ignored.

Lots of first time gun owners out there.

Default Ammunition: Supply and Demand

Government buying too much is likely a problem as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    When any nation mistrust it's citizens with guns, it is sending a clear message. It no longer trust it's citizens because such a government has evil plans. George Washington

I think there is a lot people out there that is buying to just buy!! They are buying because of fear, fear of not being able too. I have been looking at buying a firearm for the last year or so and finally bought one. I love my new pistol, but the ammo price is killing me. So, I am go to start to reload. Well, the problem is there also. To find anything in a normal price range is dang near impossible. I was at the gun show a few weeks ago, I was walking by a table and the gentlemen was pricing .22 brick of 325 and he put a $70 sticker on it. Highway robbery, and yes I know that is normal for a gun show, but still.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Some also realize their "stock" might have been a little smaller than they now are concerned about.

Wait till you see $100 for a box of 50 at Wanamachers!

Yes it will happen.
    918-261-7917

If I don't answer my phone the cancer may have won.

I'm hoarding... I shoot a lot, and as ammo became sly, my stockpile ran out. Now I'm in hoarder mode, putting back what I've shot, and switching over to .22lr just so I can keep up my seventh day weekly shoot. I've always had a pile of 223, and I've stopped shooting it almost all together, but that 3k rnds of 9mm went quick with a few glocks to feed. As soon as I get my piles back to the norm, I'll start shooting when I can buy until this blows over. Hopefully I'll be able to score a chucker or horn L&L loader by this time next month. It'd be a good bday present for myself

Part of it is like back in the late 80's early 90's when news coverage of winchesters black talons was forcing winchester to stop making them for a while. People came in to my store who didn't even own a gun and bought up all the black talons thinking they were gonna make some money.

The biggest problem is the jack wagons that font have a job that wipe out the stores then sell through other avenues at 2x and 3x the price, they are what is driving this madness!
    Feed back http://www.okshooters.com/forums/sho...t=rebelracer79

Quote Originally Posted by r00s7a View Post
    And simply because I'm top of the food chain and I can.
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰
    ☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰

I didn't need any, but was at the local wallyworld the other day when a truck containing ammo showed up. People were snagging up boxes of bulk .22, that didn't even own a gun, (according to their own story) just to resell it. That sucks.

I've seen video's of starving people getting food for the first time in two weeks that weren't whipped into a frenzy like the people scooping up the ammo.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

If the sales are now 9 billion per year hopefully when they finally do catch up they will overrun some and that will help bring the prices back down. I am thinking real hard about casting some bullets again. Things are nuts. I am sure that all of the reasons for hoarding are true. The new guns sales are a factor and the various fears are to. The people that are reselling are irritating but there are reasons to do that too.
    "okietom's feedback"

"If we are to continue to have the freedoms that came of the inspiration of the Almighty to our Founding Fathers, we must return to the God who is their true Author." Gordon B Hinckley