Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Default Oklahoma WMA Ranges

Okay, so according to the Department of Wildlife Conservation's web page, there are 14 WMA Ranges in Oklahoma:

Beaver River
    Canton
    Cherokee
    Ft. Gibson
    Ft. Supply
    Hickory Creek
    James Collins
    Lexington
    Okmulgee
    Optima
    Ouachita
    Pushmataha
    Three Rivers
    Washita Arm

For whatever reason, none are located in the southwest part of the state, though there are several state parks with what would seem to have appropriate locations. Wonder why?

Default Re: Oklahoma WMA Ranges

Just my guess from a few visits to the WMA's in the SW...Most are either small, like Gist, or primarily wetlands or are near wetlands. Not conducive to hosting a range.

A shooting range requires a bit of real estate. I guess they could carve one out of Sandy Sanders, not sure why they didn't.
    Hope is not a course of action. -MSG Anthony "Bucket" Pryor

Quote Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
    ...Every man can contribute something. In your case it sounds like the dogs will eat good ...
    My Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?60091-Sms

Shooters tend to leave behind trash, empty boxes, shot up TVs, etc....
    I don't like to admit that, but some of us do that. (I don't!)

Game rangers don't like to clean up after shooters, and maintaining a range takes work.

I know one guy that just hikes a long way from the road, does his shooting, and back out he hikes. (uses a backpack for gear)
    He claims the ranger in his area likes to write tickets, but doesn't like to stray too far from the truck....

Would think there would be space around Waurika, possibly Lugert and Cobb? Or a teaming arrangement with Wichita Mountains for some of the unused land around its periphery (like that could ever happen!)

Shooting Ranges
    On all WMAs where specific target or shooting ranges have been provided for public use, the discharge of firearms for purposes other than hunting is restricted to the ranges provided. Exemptions may only be granted by the Director of the Department upon prior submission of a written application setting forth the location, date, nature and purpose of such activity.

All persons using shooting ranges must posses a valid hunting or combination license, unless otherwise exempt.
    http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma...ed-area-rules/
    Does this mean if the WMA does not have a range you can target shoot anywhere on the WMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbajuju View Post

Does this mean if the WMA does not have a range you can target shoot anywhere on the WMA?
    Plinking is not allowed on WMA'S anywhere but approved ranges. Only time shooting is allowed Is during hunting seasons with the proper license and tags.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Plinking is not allowed on WMA'S anywhere but approved ranges. Only time shooting is allowed Is during hunting seasons with the proper license and tags.
    Gotcha. Thanks.