Oklahoma WMA Ranges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, so according to the Department of Wildlife Conservation's web page, there are 14 WMA Ranges in Oklahoma:

Beaver River
Canton
Cherokee
Ft. Gibson
Ft. Supply
Hickory Creek
James Collins
Lexington
Okmulgee
Optima
Ouachita
Pushmataha
Three Rivers
Washita Arm

For whatever reason, none are located in the southwest part of the state, though there are several state parks with what would seem to have appropriate locations. Wonder why?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my guess from a few visits to the WMA's in the SW...Most are either small, like Gist, or primarily wetlands or are near wetlands. Not conducive to hosting a range.

A shooting range requires a bit of real estate. I guess they could carve one out of Sandy Sanders, not sure why they didn't.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooters tend to leave behind trash, empty boxes, shot up TVs, etc....
I don't like to admit that, but some of us do that. (I don't!)

Game rangers don't like to clean up after shooters, and maintaining a range takes work.

I know one guy that just hikes a long way from the road, does his shooting, and back out he hikes. (uses a backpack for gear)
He claims the ranger in his area likes to write tickets, but doesn't like to stray too far from the truck....

Bubbajuju

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting Ranges
On all WMAs where specific target or shooting ranges have been provided for public use, the discharge of firearms for purposes other than hunting is restricted to the ranges provided. Exemptions may only be granted by the Director of the Department upon prior submission of a written application setting forth the location, date, nature and purpose of such activity.

All persons using shooting ranges must posses a valid hunting or combination license, unless otherwise exempt.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/department-managed-area-rules/

Does this mean if the WMA does not have a range you can target shoot anywhere on the WMA?

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this just not enforced at Sandy Sanders or is it just a matter of time until you're caught out there? Based on the amount of brass around the camping areas, it would seem there is more than one group of people that are going out to do some shooting that doesn't involve hunting.

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed a reasonable place to ask about it. I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. Apologies if this has been answered in the past.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like going over the speed limit..You know even 1 MPH over is breaking the law but you take your chance anyway.

actually I just piss everyone off and drive the speed limit. Drove all the way to California and back for a funeral last year and never broke the speed limit. I've been accused, on more than one occasion, of being a grumpy old man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom