Soldering vs. Compression fittings vs. sharkbite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget the dielectric couplings on the electric heater, and shutoffs on both if you plan on staying.
Soldering is best nothing wrong with the comp fittings(just make sure they are pushed all the way in, and turn your crimpers 90* and crimp again,.
Make sure the sharkbites are straight with the pipe before pushing all the way in.
.Good Luck

.dont forget to have it inspected, may be an insurance prob

JustPlainStrange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solder.

Sharkbite fitting SUCK. They are easy to use, but they are crap. I have broken 3 of them now (on pex and on copper)- I have none in this house now. A friend of mine (against my advice) used sharkbite as a temporary fix for his waterline and it leaks. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried soldering copper. I tried and tried and tried. I finally got it to work - but it was a pain.
It's not as easy as most people say it is. * There's tricks to it, and practice makes perfect.

I've done Pex and I love it. Economical, flexible, easy connections, no scaling buildup issues, doesn't care about acidic/hard water, freeze resistant (the pipe swells instead of bursting, then returns to normal when thawed).
It's a no brainer for me - I used Pex. (Note: do not leave Pex in direct sunlight for more than 2 days. The piping doesn't like UV light.)

Best of luck.

* Within 3 posts, someone will say soldering is easy-breazy.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is easy breezy.

Stop by Habitat or similar place with take off or used copper fittings, buy a few and practice a bit. Remember that mating surfaces have to be cleaned with Scotchbrite or emory cloth (I then wipe with acetone/paper towel). Takes a bit of practice but really isn't hard. A can of MAPP gas is handy- hotter than regular propane. Leave the O/A torch alone. Way too hot for inexperienced hands (Guess how I know..) and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

If you're wanting flexible lines, solder an end on your current lines and use flexible hose with threaded compression fittings. If you go that route, get the best quality hose you can and consider buying a second set to hang up next to the water heater. Flex hoses tend to leak when all the stores are closed.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solder...

2.bp.blogspot.com__Qxo6Ntq6mhM_UJoPhtvApvI_AAAAAAAAJck_vgeZNyd42_M_s1600_beavis_fire.jpg

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience if the pex fittings are allowed to jump around with pressure differences they leak. Not always the case but if you don't want to take the chance solder it then there is no question it is good if you do it right

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soldering is easy, if you keep two things in mind:

1. Clean metal. Scrub the metals to be joined--inside and out--until they're bright and shiny.
2. Do not heat the solder. Heat the work until it is hot enough to melt the solder on its own. Once it's that hot, touch the solder to the work and let it melt on the side opposite the flame. The solder will melt and be wicked into the joint by capillary action. If you melt the solder with the flame, instead of the work, it'll freeze when it hits the work and you'll have a poor, leaky joint. Heat the work!

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a lady you should just ask all of the male experts responding here to come help. Cater in BBQ or order pizza for all...lots of drinks too, sodas & beer, and your water heater will be installed in no time. And a good time will be had by all. :)

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soldering is easy, if you keep two things in mind:

1. Clean metal. Scrub the metals to be joined--inside and out--until they're bright and shiny.
2. Do not heat the solder. Heat the work until it is hot enough to melt the solder on its own. Once it's that hot, touch the solder to the work and let it melt on the side opposite the flame. The solder will melt and be wicked into the joint by capillary action. If you melt the solder with the flame, instead of the work, it'll freeze when it hits the work and you'll have a poor, leaky joint. Heat the work!

actually, technically,...heat the fitting....and Clean is the key..... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom