i'll never complain. . . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad had the cellar built in '91, small 4 person, in garage, underground unit. Mom complains about the steps and she can't up and down by herself. BUT, when the horn sounds, we had better be on the way (6 blocks away), she is in the garage at the door waiting. It has sheltered 14 at point (neighbor helping neighbor). Luckily, new neighbor is a storm chaser, keeps her updated and his wife is a nurse (so happy to help Mom into cellar and sit with her). Helps me when I'm at work.
Keep saying I'm going to put one in, she says, "why, got all you need right here?"

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like ours (GroundZero), but wish to some extent that it was fiberglass, and not steel. Lots of water sloshing around under it, and I can't help but wonder how long before it rusts out from below. Having it (with two kids) brings a peace of mind that was well worth the money spent - only like noslogto - I wish I'd have bought their largest unit.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I had one put in by StormSafe during my home construction...I got stuck at work yesterday, but my wife and dogs put the in floor shelter to use....Thankfully, it missed me....my house is off of SW 134th and S. May.....just missed us! I will tell anyone to go and get one.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason a steel unit corrodes or a concrete unit leaks is because the people that are building them don't prep them correctly, and don't use the correct coating. If you are buying an inground steel room, and it isn't blasted and then coated with a coating that is resistant to cathodic disbondment, then shop elsewhere. If they don't do these things, they might as well be using latex house paint.

Even if they use the correct coating, without the proper surface prep, they are wasting money. If they don't do it correctly, it won't last long term.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many instances of houses collapsing on garage floor shelters and trapping people. That is one reason we have a traditional storm shelter in the backyard.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many instances of houses collapsing on garage floor shelters and trapping people. That is one reason we have a traditional storm shelter in the backyard.

Regardless of which type shelter you have, take the time to register it with your county emergency management. They take the list of shelters and check each one to verify there is no one trapped in it..

Latest posts

Top Bottom