.223 Load Help....69 gr Sierra HPBT Match w/ Varget Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded a few and tested them today with 25.5 gr varget and they seem pretty hot. Primers are flat. Chrono'd at 2835 fps average for 3 shots. I think I am a little hot. The group was not that great either. Close to 2" at 100 yrds. Anybody got any experience with this bullet? I am shooting this out of a DPMS 3G1 AR rifle.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That really isn't that hot of a load for a NATO chamber. I would be shocked if you couldn't find something that shot better than 2 moa with the 69grn SMK. It's a good bullet. Have you tried any other powders with your setup?

mach1soldier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try lower. I'm using 24.0 to 24.4 grains of varget with 69 gn sierra's and getting 3/4 to 1 inch (5 shot) groups shooting with a bipod and rear sand bag.

I hand weigh each charge and sort brass by weight but no other fancy steps. I don't turn the necks or anything like that.

I'm using a 24 inch 1-9 colt.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run 24.1 grains of Varget when I use it. I have switched to CFE-223 because it meters so well and actually does keep it clean. I would tell you to go down in charge since you are just punching paper. I do use those same boolits.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am using a micrometer adjustable powder measure so went down a click and loaded 4, dropped another and loaded 4 and one more time. Heading out in a minute to see how these group. I had never heard of the CFE-223 powder. I will check into that and see if any is available.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience 223 is extremely sensitive to case volume when reloading AKA the case weight.
25.5gn Varget is what I use for my service match rifle feeding from magazine, but I use Lake City brass weight sorted 92.5gn. This is on the far light side of available brass and that's the reason I'm using it; any other brass will have much smaller internal case capacity (I've seen cases in 110gn range) and therefore the load has to be alot lighter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom