Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

View Poll Results: Which Optics do you run?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eotech (whichever model)

14 31.11%
  • Aimpoint

24 53.33%
  • Trijicon Acog

6 13.33%
  • Just BUIS

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics

Default AR Optics

Thought I'd start a poll for ar optics, please vote and feel free to chime in

Default Re: AR Optics

I had an acog for a while, military take-off... It was fun for a while, but I always found it limiting me to specified uses. (target too far/close for 3x)

The eotech has always seemed pretty equal to the aimpoints, but I've had iffy quality control with some of the lower priced eotechs, ie - fuzzy reticles.

I'm really digging the new leupold line of ar specific optics, and while I'd love to drop a couple grand on a Miculek Vortex, I'm probably going the Leupold VX-R route this go round. Nikon's Monarch (M-223) series have also been outstanding for price point too.

I had an xps2-2 about 6 months ago but the reticle was really fuzzy.

Ive used Eotechs, Aimpoints and irons. Looked through but not shot with ACOGs.
    I liked all of them, and they served their purpose well. For short range work its hard to beat an Aimpoint H1/T1.
    Light and tough as nails, but maybe not as forgiving as the Eotech in terms of field of view. The ACOGS had great glass, but the eye relief was an issue for me. I really wanted something as tough as an ACOG, with a more forgiving eye relief, better field of view, and could switch between 1x and 4x without having to change my sight plane. Ended up with an Elcan Specter DR 1-4 and have been exceptionally pleased with its performance. Of course the buis that come with it are hideous, so i keep a set of Troy flip ups as well.
    " If I cannot be a good example Lord, please let me be a terrible warning"

III

Feedback at,http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...cle+money+bags

It really depends on what you're doing with it. For a general purpose/2A purpose AR, I like a high quality variable power scope with 1x on the low end. If you're using it for home defense or close quarters, definitely an Aimpoimt.
    Want to see how you and your gear perform under true field conditions? Check out the Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun, coming Jan. 18, 2014: www.okrunngun.com

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...OK-Sign-up-now!

Oklahoma State Coordinator for Project Appleseed

Are you a Rifleman, or just a rifle owner?
    www.appleseedinfo.org
    e-mail me: OK@appleseedinfo.org

Yeah, I think you left out just a few common options. Or are you wanting to get an optic and these are the choices you've narrowed it down too?
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. Airplanes fly, but helicopters beat the air into submission

If the reticle on the Eotech is fuzzy, you're using it wrong.
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

There needs to be an all the above choice.
    RAMBO66

I have ran the Aimpoint, and the ACOG. Like them both a lot. But now I want to try something new. I want to try the Leopold Mark 8 cqbss 1-8x scope. The scope is a bad boy, but you do pay for it. So it may be a year or 2 down the road. From what I read at the 1x, its just like a Aimpoint. The one I want is about 3700.00 nib. I have seen used ones like new for under 3k.

I am going to get the Leopold VX-R 1.25-4X for time being. Just something to use for time being tell I get to that point.

Now if I only could get one listed, Acog all the way....
    Feedback: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...light=Coltdogg
    JB's Lock & Load
    FFL /07 MFG.
    Let it RAIN!! Black Rain Ordnance
    Free Transfer give away...
    https://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ry-to-help-out

Looks like aimpoint is winning the poll

reticle on my eotech was fuzzy, then i put on my glasses.

if i ever get another optic, it'll probably be an aimpoint.
    luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by doctorjj View Post
    OR you have an Astigmatism! I do, and I can't use them because of it. Eye doctor confirmed.

Right now I can't afford any of the ones in the poll, but I have had EXCELLENT luck with Vortex Strikefire (red/green) and Vortex SPARC.
    My Feedback
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    KC Chiefs fan since 1994 / ST. Louis Cardinal fan since 2001 / Dale Jr. Fan since 1999
    MEMBER OF THE FAT GUY SHOOTING TEAM
    OSA Join Date: 06-13-2005

Quote Originally Posted by TSQUARE View Post
    OR you have an Astigmatism! I do, and I can't use them because of it. Eye doctor confirmed.

Right now I can't afford any of the ones in the poll, but I have had EXCELLENT luck with Vortex Strikefire (red/green) and Vortex SPARC.
    So blame the optic for your eye issue? Ooookay....

Seriously, it should only be as fuzzy or blurry as anything else you are looking at and one of the best aspects of a RDS is that you can wear your corrective lenses and shoot both eyes open.
    I buy things I don't need to impress people I don't know

"For the record, I'm against the entire office of Presidency at this point and would love to see both of these idiots put through the hunger games" --ez bake

My Feedback

So blame the optic for your eye issue? Ooookay....

Seriously, it should only be as fuzzy or blurry as anything else you are looking at and one of the best aspects of a RDS is that you can wear your corrective lenses and shoot both eyes open.
    I was just stating a fact that an astigmatism can cause it to look that way. I am blaming the eye, not the optic. Chill out!
    My Feedback
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    KC Chiefs fan since 1994 / ST. Louis Cardinal fan since 2001 / Dale Jr. Fan since 1999
    MEMBER OF THE FAT GUY SHOOTING TEAM
    OSA Join Date: 06-13-2005

Quote Originally Posted by TSQUARE View Post

The point jj is making is that when using a RDS your not supposed to focus on the dot, but on your target. This will mitigate alot of the fuzzy or star like diffusion caused by an astigmatism. I have the same problem in my shooting eye. If you must use a red dot for precision work try flipping up the small aperture on your rear buis and focus through that.
    Or, use a red dot that illuminates an etched reticule rather than one which projects the dot onto the glass.
    " If I cannot be a good example Lord, please let me be a terrible warning"

III

Feedback at,http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...cle+money+bags