Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My SAI Scout Squad

This rifle is not yet complete but here's the first step in the transformation. It started life as a standard Scout Squad in factory walnut furniture. When I traded for the rifle, it came with a spare fiberglass stock. It required some fitting of the stock prior to remounting the receiver and fire control groups. I have a Vortex Sparc that will be mounted onto an Ultimak low rail. I may get an absolute cowitness out of that setup but expect at least a lower 1/3 (I've been unable to find anyone with this exact setup as a reference). I gave it some Krylon love and am pretty pleased with the way the paint looks. I'm adding a Riflecraft reinforced loop sling, as well. This will be an all-around utility rifle for hunting, Appleseeding, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScoutSquad1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	32823

Name:	ScoutSquad2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	32824

Name:	ScoutSquad3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	32825

Closeup of the paint

Name:	ScoutSquadPaint.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	32826
    "I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independent, and prepared either for war or peace." US Congressman Davy Crockett, Philadelphia 1834

Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    ....I don't think the glass is half full or half empty....I think there's a good chance the glass is broken....

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

The Rifleman's Cadence on Facebook

Default Re: My SAI Scout Squad

The paint looks great. What did you do to get that look?

That rifle with a co witnessed red dot is gonna be SIIIICK!
    Want to see how you and your gear perform under true field conditions? Check out the Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun, coming Jan. 18, 2014: www.okrunngun.com

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...OK-Sign-up-now!

Oklahoma State Coordinator for Project Appleseed

Are you a Rifleman, or just a rifle owner?
    www.appleseedinfo.org
    e-mail me: OK@appleseedinfo.org

Thanks, Hensch. I used a tan basecoat (always) and then mixed or applied tan, brown, dark green, and light green camo rattle can paints. When I mixed the paint, I just sprayed it directly onto a paper plate then used an artist's sponge to mix the color until I got what I wanted. I then applied it with the sponge in layers. It wasn't hard, took very little time, and I got the look I wanted. I have to say that it wasn't my idea. I got the idea from a thread on the Hide.

I'm really looking forward to getting that Ultimak rail and optic mounted. I want to run some drills inside of 100m to see just how well the setup works, then take it out to KD and shoot the irons looking through the glass.

Someone needs to buy my Badger rings for sale here so I can get that rail
    "I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independent, and prepared either for war or peace." US Congressman Davy Crockett, Philadelphia 1834

....I don't think the glass is half full or half empty....I think there's a good chance the glass is broken....

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

looks outstanding!
    my contact info is available on my website, please use that email address to contact me.

Thank you sir.

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

Very nice

I appreciate that. The sunlight kind of washed the camo out a little bit in the photos. I can't wait to get that optic mounted up.

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

Looks great! The M1A is a fine rifle. Enjoy!

Slick rifle sir! I've been looking to build up a scout. My buddy swears by a 4x pistol scope on his Socom II for the long relief position. How much does it weigh w/20 round mag?

Nice job! I watched a youtube video by Tiborasaurus Rex on how to camo a gun. I have an extra M1A stock, so I might have to give it a try! Keep us posted on the durability.
    “When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Thanks guys. This rifle is quickly becoming my preferred stick. I'm working on getting stocked up so that i can feed it. I need to get more time behind it.

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

Thread from the Hide that inspired the paint job

Scroll down the page and you'll know it when you see it.

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

Cool... my .308 AR has a nice coyote tan base coat already. I was planning on adding some greens and browns. I was just going to dust over it with some stripes and dots from the can, but now I think I will have to use this method.
    Want to see how you and your gear perform under true field conditions? Check out the Pawnee Winter Run 'n Gun, coming Jan. 18, 2014: www.okrunngun.com

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...OK-Sign-up-now!

Oklahoma State Coordinator for Project Appleseed

Are you a Rifleman, or just a rifle owner?
    www.appleseedinfo.org
    e-mail me: OK@appleseedinfo.org

I got the Ultimak rail and Sparc mounted. This thing shoots great. Can't wait for more time behind this rifle.

Name:	Scout Squad.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	34349

Feedback goes here.

Appleseed IIT
    OK SDA Instructor

Surveyor, a thought for you regarding micro-type optics and forward mounting. Something that was a very rude awakening for me was finding out exactly how poorly these things to do with wet weather. Multiple times now I've found myself on the range shooting in rain, snow or a mix of the two and while it won't damage the optic the glass, especially the rear, will quickly become occluded to the point blocking all sight. Your ability to see the dot can be totally diminished as it is visibly refracted by the moisture on the lens. With the Aimpoint micro I found it because the lenses were slightly recessed they were extremely hard to wipe clean and when in a saturated environment that was never really possible anyways.

I was present with Joe Chen at 5-day pistol/carbine class during a beautiful Texas September where it had rained continuously for the week before the class and continued to do so rightup until the last day. To say that some lessons were learned by all hands would be anunderstatement and this is where Joe came up for the idea with the I/O Cover. While it works well to a certain extent one of my take-aways from this is that any optic that isn't the solely-dedicated sighting system must be able to be detached from the platform. If my optic is occluded by moisture, fog, mud or damage I can pop the QD lever and keep going… or, if its that bad, I can leave it detached until I think I'm going to need it.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

BTW, nice stick!

Ek
    Last edited by english kanigit; 12-11-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Trying to type in a literate fashion on a damned iThing…
    "Personally, I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process." -- James Lileks

"Be the lack of Bullshit you wish to see in the world around you."