Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packsaddle

Default Packsaddle

Anyone ever hunt packsaddle. Thinking about going during the week of blackpowder
    Striper Guide at Lake Texoma
    [url]WWW.TEXOMAJON.COM
    405-255-1540

Dealer of most brands of Truck accessories and Diesel Performance Parts Including DPF & EGR Delete Kits Including H&S Mini Max & XRT Tuners
    405-255-1540

Default Re: Packsaddle

It's primarily a walk in use area. Fairly open WMA. Muzzy season doesn't get to awfully crowded. Rifle season will be pretty busy just like most WMA's open to rifle hunting.

Deer numbers in NW Okla seem to be down just a bit this season following the past few years. Nothing to be to worried about though.

Lots and lots of oil and gas activity going on and has been for about two years now. Traffic can be very heavy at times on the area lease roads. Depending on where rigs and frac crews are at.

Fishfurlife is exactly right.
    My Feedback
    Oklahomabassin Feedback

Ridgehunter--I'm always so grateful I never talk. Vaginas are like wild animals. You have to be very quiet or you scare them away. Even after you gain one's trust you should still be *amazed* it comes close enough to let you touch it. Especially most of us here. I've seen a lot of ya'll. Don't call up all your friends and yell "IT'S EATING FROM MY HAND RIGHT NOW."

Thanks for the info been hunting at blue river the past 3 years just looking for something different this year and trying to pick out the best area to take my wife
    [url]WWW.TEXOMAJON.COM
    405-255-1540

Dealer of most brands of Truck accessories and Diesel Performance Parts Including DPF & EGR Delete Kits Including H&S Mini Max & XRT Tuners
    405-255-1540

Quote Originally Posted by jhoppis View Post
    Thanks for the info been hunting at blue river the past 3 years just looking for something different this year and trying to pick out the best area to take my wife
    jhoppis I would take a look at beaver wma for ML season

Everyone forgot to say that's it's uphill no matter which direction you go!
    "A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody". Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Okie4570 View Post
    And no matter which direction you go, you'll be fighting those little Bastid oak bush tangled mats...

Quote Originally Posted by deerwhacker444 View Post
    And no matter which direction you go, you'll be fighting those little Bastid oak bush tangled mats...
    True...........it's still a cool and beautiful piece of property........spring turkey season when all is green, makes an incredible sunset out there.
    "A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody". Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Okie4570 View Post
    This made me laugh but is Oh so true. There is no such thing as hauling a deer out and going down hill at Packsaddle. Literally.

Isn't that where they have done a major quail survey? Its been awhile back, but I've read some things about it.

Any quail left?
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    Isn't that where they have done a major quail survey? Its been awhile back, but I've read some things about it.

Any quail left?
    Yes. "The Quail Study" was done there (1993ish-1998ish) and OSU is going in to year three on a very large Bobwhite project that is taking place on Packsaddle as well as Beaver River WMA.

Quail numbers are a bit better this season compared to the last two but I am not kidding when I say that about 85% of all the birds are this years birds. Good hatches through the season it seems, just not a big pot to brew from going in to the breeding season. I believe another spring/summer like this ears and a guy might actually get excited about hunting them again.

Well if dragging deer there is that bad I may pass on it im not to much on having to drag deer up hill.
    [url]WWW.TEXOMAJON.COM
    405-255-1540

405-255-1540

Its kind of a difficult area to hunt, especially if you're used to heavy woods, but its a very scenic place to be. I haven't spent as much time there as I'd like to.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoppis View Post
    Well if dragging deer there is that bad I may pass on it im not to much on having to drag deer up hill.
    It can definitely be a tough drag out, if you hunt the river at all it is mostly downhill to the river and all uphill on the way out, lots of canyons and ridges in some areas. I have hunted out there several times, like everyone says it is beautiful country but there is quite a bit of oil and gas production in the area. Rifle can get really crowded but I have been during muzzleloader in the past and it was fairly crowded as well. Like at most WMA's you just have to be willing to really get in there as deep as you can to get away from the crowds, I have a spot I like to go to, but it is a serious hike in, I killed this nice 8 point there in 2009 rifle, this picture was taken before my buddy and I had to drag him out with a two wheel cart over a mile, it was tough and took us close to two hours.....I should have taken a picture after the drag......we were suffering and looked like we had just ran a cross country marathon in full pack and gear.

When did they start with the oil production? I think 98' was the last time I've turkey hunted out there. Nice sticky! Any I thought a 22lb tom in the back of a turkey vest was a load out!