Food Stamp Recipients?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a mom and pop store that was busted a couple of years ago in north Tulsa for doing it. IIRC, they were selling tobacco and beer by ringing up food items.

Back in 1986 when I got my first job at a grocery store, we had a cashier get busted for doing the same thing. Back then it was easier because they used paper food stamps.

I cashiered at a locally owned grocer back in the days of paper food stamps in the 90s, but it never crossed my mind to ring stuff up that way. What was in it for me?

I guess a owner-operated place like the corner store you mention has more incentive and ability.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many retail stores, especially China-Mart, are addicted to food stamps and the EBT card.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/walmart-food-stamps_n_4181862.html

You think they care how the money is spent?? It may have recently changed, but it's my understanding recipients can buy energy drinks (Red Bull) and bottled water with their EBT cards. I think it is limited on a state by state basis.

http://business.time.com/2013/11/01/5-surprising-things-you-can-buy-with-food-stamps/

From the article:

What SNAP can buy:

Red Bull
Sugary Soda
Candy
Mixes for alcoholic beverages
Artificial sweetener

America has the BEST water delivery system (city water lines) of any country in the world. Why is this being allowed?

Ok, flame me..but I've witnessed extensive fraud and abuse.....recipients will buy their food and food for others in exchange for beer and cigarettes....over, and over, and over. 12 pack or 18 pack a day habit....no problem....eat junk food and sell the rest of the food stamps or exchange for beer. Tip of the iceberg from what I have witnessed.....sugary, processed crap food for the children that the program is supposed to support....leaving more money for the dead beat parents to piss away.

Charity should not come from government. It should come from family and friends. Do not hold a gun to my head (pay taxes or go to prison) and force me to pay taxes to support people unwilling to better themselves and their situation. The problem is rampant, and getting worse. Oh, and these people vote for more assistance and subsidies and welfare and subsidized utilities and low income home repair and free phones and free healthcare.....

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have nothing against people\families that are using Food Stamps. I understand that things happen, people lose jobs, people get hurt thus causing them not to work. But Food Stamp assistance was designed as a method of TEMPORARY assistance, NOT one less permanent expense! I really get hot when I'm in line waiting to buy groceries and the person in front of me getting checked out, has a cart full of crap food, pop, snack cakes and chips. Sorry, but crap food like that should not be allowed to be used for food stamps. Just the necessities; bread, vegetables, hamburger\whole chicken, dairy and fruit.

My rant is done for the day, that is all.
Thx,

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember well getting sent to the gas station with 3 dollar stamps and going in once and buying a piece of gum. 97 real cents back. Do that again then almost have 2 bucks. Buy moms pack of smokes then take her the change. The third stamp was for me for going. So a 10 year old kid was spending food stamps and buying cigarettes. I'm not sure if either was illegal back then.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took food stamps for about 3 months when I was 28, flat broke with a 3 month old baby, a stepdaughter and a wife that was less than worthless when it came to having a job. Car was broken I had to walk to work 3 miles if I couldn't get a ride. Rent was 2 months overdue if the owner hadn't needed to put a roof on the house and was willing to trade my labor for rent we woulda been out on our asses. I was smoking only when someone took pity and tossed me a smoke. I went for 3 days without eating once because every dime I had went to keeping the kids fed and keeping the utilities on.

We were dirt poor when I was a kid and got commodity cheese. Man I sure liked that government cheese.

I had sold my pistol, my shotgun, my motorcycle, my CB and linear, basically anything I had of any value, no phone had to walk to a pay phone, figured if I was well enough to walk 1/2 a mile to call in sick I was well enough to walk to work.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way back when they were actually paper stamps, I found one blowing around in the street downtown for $40. I snapped it up and took it to Safeway where they had the largest fresh lobster swimming around in the tank... well needless to say, I got some pretty strange looks when I paid for that sucker.

It was so big I couldnt finish it myself.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was poor too...I was 10, my sis 8 an brothers 4 and 2ish. We lived in a vacant house in north side of Okmulgee, I fed them kids for 2 weeks on 20 bucks worth of food stamps, a can of "beef", block of molded cheese and some hotdog buns. Dunno where my mom was but my gramma finally found us. Courts/welfare/dhs, didnt buy my story.....I was glad for the food stamps tho.

I wonder if kids can still getaway with fending for themselves?

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never got food stamps when we were kids but I'm sure we could of qualified for them. My dad wouldn't even consider applying for them.

Did get to sample the cheess that my grandma would get. That stuff was the bomb!

Several years ago when my wife was a full time student and I was supporting a family of 5 on $38k I know we were just a bit over the limit. It would have come in handy but we managed without it somehow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom